Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Premium Stage Four Pi's Done!!
Premium Stage Four Pi's Done!! [message #36778] Wed, 05 June 2002 08:38 Go to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Well.... after almost 8 months of planning, waiting for parts to arrive, waiting for my cabinet-builder friend to help me, and then the finishing process being interrupted numerous times by the more important task of being a new father I can finally say that I fired up my Premium Stage Four Pi's the other night! I still need to paint and cover the grill frames, but the speakers themselves are done.

So far, I've just set them up in my relatively unfinished basement (it does have carpet on the floor and insulation between the studs on the walls, but that's about it) with my old HK 730 receiver (45W x2, dual-mono power supplies) and CD player. I'm not sure how long it takes to break them in, but so far they've had about 5 hours of white noise run through them and a few hours of music as well. Seems to be a bit of upper bass boominess which I think has more to do with lack of break-in time, but also I think I need to add more polyester batting to the cabinets. I only had enough to do the back wall and the bottom of the cabinets, so more insulation is definately in order. I might also reduce the padding on PSD2002 in the crossover because the highs are a little softer than I'd like; or at least they are right now. Not going to deviate much though from the crossover design until I've put the proper amount of fill in the cabinets and have broken the drivers in adequately.

With a little tweaking of the treble on my amp these things sure do sing, though! This is my first experience with high-efficiency speakers in my own home and I think I'm finally getting that tactile,
"sounds like live" sound that I've been wanting from my system. Evenutally I might upgrade to a more powerful amp, but so far I really like what I'm hearing. I took some quick snapshots with my wife's camera, so if she fills up the film in the next few days with baby photos I'll post some pictures up on the net somewhere. I hope to also have the grilles completed by that time as well.

Thanks to Wayne Parham and George Duemm (replay) for all your help in answering my questions. I'm sure there will be more!

Later,
Colin

Cool! [message #36781 is a reply to message #36778] Wed, 05 June 2002 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

glad you like them colin! nt [message #36783 is a reply to message #36778] Wed, 05 June 2002 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
nt
Re: Premium Stage Four Pi's Done!! [message #36784 is a reply to message #36778] Wed, 05 June 2002 11:14 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Awesome!!! I hope you enjoy them :)

I wanted to make a comment about the amp. Unless you enjoy listening to music at psychotic SPL levels in your room or you want to use these for DJ'ing or something, you don't need anymore power.

My bass reflex 2-way's are not exactly like four pi's, but they are quite similar. Kappa 15lf with a PSD2002. Sensitivity is only about 95 decibles. However, with my amp applying at most maybe 50 watts, these things just scream. I think you'll be happyu with a most amp. :)

Adam

Previous Topic: Port size for 4 Pi with JBL 2205 driver
Next Topic: Pi Aligned JBL/Urei 801C
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 17 06:18:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers