Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Space problems
Space problems [message #36764] Tue, 04 June 2002 11:11 Go to next message
Firefli is currently offline  Firefli
Esquire
I have finally moved into my new apartment and to my dismay, discovered that the only place my system will fit is in a 12'x16' room, with the system on the 12' wall.

I currently have a pair of old Magnavox horn speakers that appear to have been made in the 1960s. They have a 12" woofer on an alnico magnet in a sealed cabinet, and a 1" compression tweeter behind a exponential horn. They were probably theater speakers, since I cant seem to find any info on them.

But I digress...I wanted to build a pair of Theater 4Pis, however their size seems to be an issue. The Magnavox horns are around 20" high x 15" wide (sortof like the Klipsch Heresy), which seems fine for the room. However the 24" width of the Theater 4Pi seems like it will be too much for my small room. Is there anything I can do about this? Or should I just listen to my old Magnavox horns for the next few years? Surprisingly they sound fantastic - I picked them up for $15 at a thrift shop, and put around $10 in fixer upper parts...but I am itching to build something myself...
My System and DIY Projects page

Re: Space problems [message #36766 is a reply to message #36764] Tue, 04 June 2002 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You can always alter the dimensions of the cabinets. Internal box volume is the key point; the only relevance the cabinet dimensions have is on baffle step transformation, which is virtually a non-issue if you have your speakers against a wall anyway. So I don't think actual dimensions are any problem. You can modify the dimensions to fit your space needs.

Adam

What about... [message #36767 is a reply to message #36764] Tue, 04 June 2002 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JohnR is currently offline  JohnR
Esquire
corner horns?

Re: Space problems [message #36770 is a reply to message #36764] Tue, 04 June 2002 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Firefli,
I agonized the whole time I was building my Theater 4's since my listening room is only slightly larger than yours at 12x17.5.But the speakers look good in the room after spending a bit extra on designing in extra cosmetics(veneer and grill) and the wife likes them alot. As for sound in the room it is very good, only a bit of low freq room gain which is very recording dependent.I do have them set up on the long wall, though! The speakers are large but there is more than a bit of satisfaction gained in knowing that you have loudspeakers that can truly put out the dB's in all frequencies required to portray a realistic performance. and at 103dB efficiency to boot!

Good luck in making your decision!

Garland

Guys love big ones! [message #36775 is a reply to message #36764] Tue, 04 June 2002 22:07 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Like Adam said, if floor space is a problem you can make the cabinets taller and less wide. Or take John's suggestion and make corner horns which are taller and thinner and tucked away in the corners. They sound great too, directing all generated sound into the listening environment. And don't discount what Garland said too - Take a look at the photos of his speakers! Something tells me that if you had those speakers, you wouldn't mind the size at all!

Previous Topic: What kinds of caps and coils do most of you use for Pi xovers?
Next Topic: Another set of 4 pis - my first
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 15 19:37:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout