Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Another set of 4 pis - my first
Re: What are the dimensions of your box? [message #36746 is a reply to message #36741] Mon, 03 June 2002 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Dude, that's crazy. 8 cuft? Wow :P

Adam

Re: Great to see your progress! [message #36750 is a reply to message #36742] Mon, 03 June 2002 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mhammill is currently offline  mhammill
Chancellor
I saw your earlier pictures during your assembly phase. Since we are working with close to the same dimensions it's good to see them next to the MKII. I also have a pair. It helps me reference the size in my livingroom. They look great. Beautiful design. Even though I have almost all the parts now, I still have to finish my 2pi tower rear channel pair before getting into the 4pi's.
Great work.
Later,
Mike H
Eminence [message #36753 is a reply to message #36745] Tue, 04 June 2002 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
...right out of Wayne's recipe for the Theater 4 pi. Delta 15 and the bolt-mount version of the PSD2002. If I were to do it again I'd definitely buy the kit. They'd have been done a month ago for about the same price (except for the horn, 'cause the PE unit is such a steal).

John

Got 'em already [message #36754 is a reply to message #36744] Tue, 04 June 2002 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I'm just waiting to put them on until I know if they're really finished or not. The Tung oil surface almost looks like it could use one more go-around. Next time I try a new finish, maybe it will be on something smaller. I could have built a spray booth in the time I put into finishing these things!

John

Re: Eminence [message #36755 is a reply to message #36753] Tue, 04 June 2002 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RG is currently offline  RG
Esquire
What is the "PE unit" ?
269-109 [message #36758 is a reply to message #36755] Tue, 04 June 2002 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
It's a 6" x 16" cast metal bolt flange unit, part # 269-109. I just went over to the PartsExpress site to give you the URL for the horn, but it's been discontinued.

That bites.

The H290 is still a good deal though.

John

Re: Another set of 4 pis - my first [message #36759 is a reply to message #36734] Tue, 04 June 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andy2667 is currently offline  andy2667
Esquire
Hello,

How is the sound compared with your buschhorn MKII? Do the Pi 4 sound as smooth & coherent as the Buschhorn. Do the Pi has better bass? Do the bush horn image better.

I am now using a diatone & not satisfied with its bass performance. I am considering to upgrade it. Pi 4 (or Pi 2) or the buschhorn are my candidates.

Your comparison on the two speakers will be interesting & should be a useful reference to lots of fullranger & high efficiency addicts here.

Thanks

andy2667

p.s. I am now using a 2A3 int amp. The diatone is extremely smooth but I am not satisfied with the bass and speed.

Cool! [message #36760 is a reply to message #36754] Tue, 04 June 2002 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sorry I forgot. Lots of kits and plans and stuff going out the door and I forget sometimes.
Re: Another set of 4 pis - my first [message #36765 is a reply to message #36759] Tue, 04 June 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Andy, I haven't run them enough to break them in yet, but maybe I can leave them playing tomorrow when the house is empty to get some hours on them. I do have some first impressions though, to partially answer your questions:

"How is the sound compared with your buschhorn MKII? Do the Pi 4 sound as smooth & coherent as the Buschhorn. Do the Pi has better bass? Do the bush horn image better."

As regards bass, the Pi is considerably louder, so care must be taken when A-B-ing the two, and the Pi bass is deeper. The B-horn cuts off pretty fast under maybe 50 or 60 hz, the Pi keeps going, although not into "subwoofer" territory. The Pi has !!very!! satisfying slam and shows no strain at any level that I can stand (cranked up in my living room, they sound great at my neighbor's house 200' away, very clear and plenty of thump). Keep in mind that I use the 40-1197 in the B-horn, which is several db less sensitive than the FE103.

So far, the B-horn images better. The Pi will place instruments left to right pretty well and is not as beamy, but the little horn re-creates a great stage. Break-in will probably make changes in details and nuances, though.

The crossover is seamless, which really surprised me. I keep listening for problems in that region and don't hear any. Some instruments seem to reproduce more accurately with the Pi, but they're both very musical. The Pi sounds very big and "alive", I don't know another way to put it.

If you have room for the big ones, I suggest building them both.

John

Re: Another set of 4 pis - my first [message #36776 is a reply to message #36765] Wed, 05 June 2002 06:42 Go to previous message
andy2667 is currently offline  andy2667
Esquire
Hi John,

Thank you for your review. My room is very small & the Buschhorn or similarly small size back loaded horn may be more suitable for me. Howver, I am concernerd about their bass performance.

Please keep us update on your comparison upon breaking in the Pi 4.

Thanks

Andy

Previous Topic: Space problems
Next Topic: Port size for 4 Pi with JBL 2205 driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 17 07:27:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers