Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » question about r13 vs acoustic foam for dampening
question about r13 vs acoustic foam for dampening [message #36726] Sun, 02 June 2002 09:55 Go to next message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Hello. I'm building a thermionic 3 kit. I noticed that parts express sells acoustic dampening foam that is in an egg crate pattern. One is 2.5inches base to peak thickness and the other is 1.5in base to peak. Is this as good as using r13 fiberglass insulation? is it better? thanks for comments. Ray
My experience with acoustic insulation [message #36727 is a reply to message #36726] Sun, 02 June 2002 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've tried a lot of products over the years and I always like good old R13 best. You don't need make this harder than it needs to be. There are a myriad of insulating products that will do the job. But there are also plenty of materials that don't work well at all. So keep it simple.

I was sent a product to evaluate that was shaped like an egg carton and it was of absolutely no use at all. It is too thin to work well and is only marginally porous. What we want is a very porous material and it must be spaced out from cabinet panels to perform well. Applying paper-thin materials like felt or pulp does absolutely nothing at all. One could "hang" such a product two or three inches from the cabinet boundary surface and it might provide some attenuation when used this way, but I find no reason to go to this trouble when R13 is more porous, performs better and is easier to use.

one last question [message #36736 is a reply to message #36727] Mon, 03 June 2002 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Wayne, thanks for the very detailed answer. I will take your advice and use R13. I assume that once the R13 is stapled in place you don't have to been concerned about any glass fibers drifting out of the port hole and breathing them? Sorry if this question is too dumb.

By the way, I purchased your kit (thermionic 3) and I'm glad I did. Instructions are very clear. Construction is not that difficult, even for a novice. Thanks.

Re: one last answer [message #36739 is a reply to message #36736] Mon, 03 June 2002 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

When the speakers are first used, some of the free insulation will blow out the port. But after a week or two, all of the insulation that was knocked free during assembly is blown out. You can speed this process by using a vaccuum to remove the loose particulate.

Re: one last answer [message #36748 is a reply to message #36739] Mon, 03 June 2002 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne, I'm personally more concerned about the driver when it comes to fibreglass pink. If those fibres are sucked into the woofer motor, couldn't thye potentially do some damage?

I think yer nuts... :) j/k

Adam

Airborne particulates [message #36751 is a reply to message #36748] Mon, 03 June 2002 20:51 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The material is glass fiber, which isn't magnetic or metallic and will pass by causing only minor abrasion. It's no more a problem than any other airborn particulate of this scale; Certainly less troublesome than materials that might contain magnetic or metal dust.

Previous Topic: Thanks Wayne!!!
Next Topic: Pi center channel and sub
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 08:53:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout