Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users
Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users [message #36695] Wed, 29 May 2002 12:25 Go to next message
RyanH is currently offline  RyanH
Chancellor
I am using some Kappa 15LFA in 2 ways with Selenium D205ti's and due to size restrictions can only fit about 2.7 cu ft (designing them to fit in the trunk of a small car). How will they sound ported in this size? I plan on porting them to ~44 Hz, which gives me a 51 Hz F3 (unibox). I really want to do the 3.9 cu ft boxes tuned to 40 Hz recommended for these, but cannot afford the room. If someone says that they will sound really bad, I can probably just design them to 3.9 and make it so one goes in the trunk and the other in the back seat (we're talking a small car - 2001 nissan sentra). Thanks!
--Ryan
Re: Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users [message #36696 is a reply to message #36695] Wed, 29 May 2002 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm honestly not sure, but I'm definitely considering that to be on the low end for box volume. The smallest I ran my kappas in was about 3.5 cuft, that was on a temporary basis. My 'customary' enclosure for these woofers is 5 cuft tuned to 40 Hz with a pair of 4" diameter ports. Personally, I would drop down to a 12" woofer before I would run the kappa 15lf in an enclosure that small. It might sound adequate, but it's a stretch!

http://enclave.hypermart.net/bird/eminencepa/doneanddone/done1.JPG
http://enclave.hypermart.net/bird/eminencepa/pa1502/eminence3.jpg

Adam

Re: Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users [message #36697 is a reply to message #36696] Wed, 29 May 2002 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
thanks for the quick response!! I can't step down to the 12" because I already have the 15"s, but I might be able to go with the big boxes. How were the 3.5's? I really wish I could go bigger, but that car is just so tiny. If I do ~4 cu ft I'll have to make it so one goes in the trunk and the other in the back seat. Thanks!
--Ryan
Re: Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users [message #36700 is a reply to message #36695] Wed, 29 May 2002 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Ryan,

While the Kappas would sound thin in smaller boxes when placed in a typical listening room, remember that in a car there is such a thing as "cabin gain". That means that within the confined space of most vehicles, one can reasonably expect a rise of approximately 12 db/octave in overall bass response from 60 Hz downward. Having subs that are -3dB at 50Hz is actually a pretty good design for most vehicles, and I think that if you follow manufacturer recommendations for most car subs that is the alignment many of them suggest. Because I don't know what kind of vehicle these are going in, I can't say for sure just what kind of response you'll get. But if its anything smaller than a Chevy Suburban, I'd say you'll get pretty amazing bass in your smaller 2.7 cubic foot enclosure.

Believe me... considering that most decent car audio subwoofer drivers are only about 88dB efficient, the Kappas when given moderate power should be just about able to make your windsheild wipers bounce off the windsheild!

Have fun!
Colin

Oops! I just read you said this was for a Sentra.... [message #36701 is a reply to message #36700] Wed, 29 May 2002 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
... so your smaller box design will work great, assuming the overall anechoic response curve doesn't have any nasty ripples in the midbass ranges.

Are you going to have ANY trunk left when these are done? Where are you going to mount the tweeters?

Colin

Re: Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users [message #36704 is a reply to message #36697] Wed, 29 May 2002 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't really remember the 3.5's to be honest, it was a year and a half to two years ago. All I can tell you is I didn't like it near as much as the 5 cuft.

I didn't know you were actually planning to use these *in* your car. For some reason, I thought you wanted them that big so you could fit them in your trunk to transport, lol. :P Oh well, brain fart.

Honestly man, from someone who is extensively into car audio and also has owned and used a lot of the kappas, I wouldn't use them for a car audio application. I suppose if you already have them and just want a temporary setup, it's not a bad deal at all, but I wouldn't buy them specificaly for my car.

Sound quality would be greatly improved by using a single unit in a 5 cuft enclosure. It won't be as loud as the pair, but it will sound better at least... So I guess it depends on what you want more.

Adam

Re: Quick question for Kappa 15LFA users [message #36705 is a reply to message #36704] Wed, 29 May 2002 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
BTW, if these actually are going in your car for permanent use... Forget about the tweeters!

Adam

WHOOPS! car is just for transport! [message #36707 is a reply to message #36705] Wed, 29 May 2002 21:36 Go to previous message
Chancellor
sorry if it sounded like i was going to use them in a car, its just for transport. I no longer have a truck, however, and it will be difficult to fit all the gear in the car. Oh well, I'll make it work, as I've decided to go with 4 cu ft. We'll see how that works out. Thanks for all the replies!
--Ryan
Previous Topic: Re: linkt to π Speaker Crossover Document
Next Topic: question about fasteners and dampening
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 17 03:17:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers