Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi question
4 Pi question [message #36647] Sat, 25 May 2002 15:10 Go to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi to all,
My listening room is 4m X 5m. My components are on the 4m side. Is there a minimum distance between the Theater 4 that should be followed? Or am I better off with the Studio 2 PI? I am currently using a PP tube amp at 65 wpc but maybe would shift to a pair of Paramours in the near future. Suggestions please?
Edwin
Re: 4 Pi question [message #36648 is a reply to message #36647] Sat, 25 May 2002 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Edwin,

For what it's worth, I have Theater 4's in a 4m x 6m room but set up along the long wall. they sound good. I'd be a little concerned that in a more square room you might have some standing wave issues and with the speakers closer to the corners you might have too much bass. I think Wayne Parham may probably want to comment here. Again FWIW, I'm helping a friend build a pair of 2 Pi's and will post some comments on how they turn out and sound in my system (Bottlehead Foreplay and Paramours).

Garland

Re: 4 Pi question [message #36653 is a reply to message #36647] Sat, 25 May 2002 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
For the four π speakers, I like to position them far enough apart I can cross the forward axis in front of the listening position slightly. That's one reason why the π cornerhorn arrangement is so good - when you put them in the corners, they tend to do that automatically. This makes stereo imaging nice in a large area.

This positioning arrangement does not apply to two π speakers. In that case, it is generally best to be less than 30o off axis horizontally from both speakers, with the angles equal. You should also strive to be on the vertical axis with the midwoofer. The sweet spot is smaller, and defined by a line where both these conditions are met. That's where they sound best.

Re: 4 Pi question [message #36656 is a reply to message #36648] Sun, 26 May 2002 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Garland,
I sure would wait for your 2Pi review with the Foreplay and 'Mours :-)
Edwin
Thanks Wayne & Garland <nt.> [message #36657 is a reply to message #36647] Sun, 26 May 2002 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Re: 4 Pi question [message #36658 is a reply to message #36656] Sun, 26 May 2002 05:23 Go to previous message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
We hope to get the speakers finished in the next couple of weeks but as we work in an architectural office the busy workload often precludes much time for outside interests!!!

G.

Previous Topic: One Pi Studio
Next Topic: 2 Pi Studio Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 10:24:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers