Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 3 or 4
Theater 3 or 4 [message #36646] Sat, 25 May 2002 14:10 Go to next message
SteveP is currently offline  SteveP
Esquire
Two questions: 1) I noted from the pictures of completed speakers that most pi spkrs are placed close to the back wall. Is that how they sound best? Do you get better soundstage by moving them out from the walls? 2)I like the sound of the Cornwalls (especially the old Cornwalls) and was wondering if the Theater 3 or 4 is faily close in sound and maybe a short description. Also, would it be possible to get the cabinet plans for the 3 and 4?

Thank you

Re: Theater 3 or 4 [message #36652 is a reply to message #36646] Sat, 25 May 2002 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
π Speakers are best in quarter-space or eighth-space, i.e. on the floor against walls or in corners. The imaging is best when the speaker are positioned so the forward axis cross just in front of the listening position. This reduces early reflections, because it increases the off-axis angle to the side walls. It also improves stereo imaging because side-to-side movement towards one speaker tends to make you further off-axis from it and closer to being on-axis with the further speaker. This has a natural tendency to equalize the stereo balance even when the listener is not centered, and therefore imaging is improved over a wider listening area.
Re: Theater 3 or 4 [message #36675 is a reply to message #36652] Mon, 27 May 2002 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveP is currently offline  SteveP
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

>> π Speakers are best in quarter-space or eighth-space, i.e. on the floor against walls or in corners.

You mean the back wall??

How is the 4pi for med pwr push pull (ST70)? That is currently what I use, but may change up the road, but still probably at least 10W and P-P. In that case, would the 4pi be good?

Thanks, Steve

Re: Theater 3 or 4 [message #36676 is a reply to message #36675] Mon, 27 May 2002 15:37 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Yes, the speakers should be pushed up against the back wall, within a few inches of it. It is nice if it is non-reflective, but the directionality of the speakers helps reduce early reflections off the back wall anyway.

About your amplifier, these speakers will probably work very well for you, even if your amp has only moderate damping ability. Most push-pull amps have some negative feedback and low output impedance, so they tend to not be as affected by speaker loads. If your amplifier has high damping ability, all reasonably high efficiency speakers will work pretty well on it. And with 10 watts, it probably has pretty good damping.

I suggest you speak with the manufacturer of the amplifier about its performance. If the output transformer has low enough output impedance, it may be that it will work well with practically any loudspeaker. So ask the manufacturer about the damping factor of your amplifier and whether it has specific loading requirements.

Previous Topic: 2 Pi Studio Plans
Next Topic: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 21:37:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout