Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 Plans
Pi 4 Plans [message #36601] Thu, 23 May 2002 20:57 Go to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Wayne,

I would like to put a Edgar Horn on top or within a Pi3 or 4. What works better? I imagine the horn looks best on top. I suppose the Pi 4 has more kick in the bass. So many choices.

My listening room is 12x24x8 and cluttered and I have a ASL ultra-linear PP with EL34's. I have DIY folded TQWPs with RS40-1354 drivers. They're directional, and not too bad. I was told that the setup is mismatched. I haven't tested this judgment out.

At any rate I'm about ready to take on another project. May I look at the Pi4 plans?

One more discovery; I was looking at the Eminence 10, 12 & 15 coax's and they can't beat your price, or the performance I imagine.

Thanks, Ron

Re: Pi 4 Plans [message #36603 is a reply to message #36601] Thu, 23 May 2002 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There are lots of different sizes and price points, so narrow down what you want a little more and I'd be happy to help you out.

Re: Pi 4 Theater Plans [message #36632 is a reply to message #36603] Fri, 24 May 2002 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Wayne,

I'll have more questions after I see the plans. The amp I have is a 40W/channel, I can put different tubes on it. It came with 6550's and that produces 50W/. I'm interested in the Pi4 Theater plans. I will look at the site more throughly.

Cheers, Ron

You have mail! [message #36633 is a reply to message #36632] Fri, 24 May 2002 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

4Pi Theater vs 4Pi Stage [message #36641 is a reply to message #36633] Sat, 25 May 2002 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Wayne: I am attracted to the smaller size of the 4Pi Stage 15"... it's SAF (Spousal Approval Factor) is much higher due to the smaller size.

But how does the 4Pi Stage 15 perform as compared to the much larger 4Pi Theater?

Thanks for the plans!

Paul

Re: 4Pi Theater vs 4Pi Stage [message #36649 is a reply to message #36641] Sat, 25 May 2002 19:06 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The Theater Series four π Speaker goes deeper but has rising response in the bottom octave. Response is flat from (f3) 50Hz up, but has useful response to below 20Hz. It rises at 12dB/octave starting about 16Hz, so it can really go deep with room lift, and the slope is complementary.

Another characteristic of this loudspeaker is the midwoofer's narrowing directivity making response rise 6dB in the octave just under crossover to the tweeter. When the Theater four π speaker is placed in a room corner, then the rest of the audio range is forced into approximately the same directivity pattern, and this equalizes response. Floor placement against a back wall comes close.

The midwoofer used in the Stage Series four π speaker does not have this kind of rising response. It is within 3dB (+/-1.5dB) from (f3) 50Hz clear up to the crossover point. The collapsing DI of the midwoofer nearly matches the tweeter at the crossover point, but it does not have rising response on-axis. This is because the midwoofer has falling power response that is roughly equal to its rising DI.

The Stage four π speaker sounds more natural in large spaces. If it radiates into a constrained space, the bass will be over-emphasized. So when used in smaller rooms, this speaker sounds best a foot or two from room boundaries. It is best used radiating into half-space, maybe quarter-space but eighth-space is too much.

Previous Topic: is fir better than MDF for bracing?
Next Topic: Pic of P'ITANIC 12 and a new project up
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 06:20:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout