Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, Horn help please
Wayne, Horn help please [message #36575] Wed, 22 May 2002 21:45 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
I built my Theater 4 Pi's with a copy of the JBL 2370A horn lense. I have seen you mention that the CH-3 is slightly smaller but is similar, hence my logic in using it. (it was in stock at my local pro place, and my CH-3 was about 3 weeks late and nowhere in sight) I have read several posts recently about the 3 octaves or so of usable horn bandwidth, and am wondering if I have done myself wrong with this choice. Now that I have both of these and can compare, and because of the low cutoff of the JBL design(630 Hz), I wonder if the 2370A is too big for a 4 Pi. JBL says that this horn has more extension than others, and this may be why it sounds so good even crossed "too high". I will be making some adapters to mount the CH-3 in those big holes this weekend just to see which I prefer, but I know you have experience with both devices, so I thought I would ask what you think. I think this system sounds fantastic, so I guess that is all that really matters. I have no experience with horns and don't know how critical this is.

In the event that I wind up doing something else with them, I only see one 1" exit compression driver that will go low enough, but I don't have the loot for the JBL 2426 anytime soon. Could I do a pro 4 Pi with a 1000 or 1200 Hz x-over and this horn? I would have to save for a long time to do that, but what a system.

Re: Wayne, Horn help please [message #36577 is a reply to message #36575] Wed, 22 May 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You could certainly use a 1kHz or 1.2kHz crossover as you described, but you'll want to pay particular attention to summing and to tweeter response down low. Most horns this size tend to peak around 800Hz to 1kHz and diaphragm excursion may be a problem too, depending on the driver.

Re: Wayne, Horn help please [message #36578 is a reply to message #36577] Thu, 23 May 2002 00:18 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Thanks Wayne, I will leave my already great sounding speakers as is. I think I will use my spare compression drivers and CH-3's for 6 Pi's. Hmmmm.

You really do go above and beyond with all of this incredible support.

Thanks,
Thomas

Previous Topic: 2 Pi speaker questions
Next Topic: 2 Pi plans please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 17:38:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers