Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » any tips on cutting baffle circles?
any tips on cutting baffle circles? [message #36530] Mon, 20 May 2002 05:16 Go to next message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Hi. Just ordered a Thermionic kit this morning! Do the two drivers have a flange that covers the opening and thus hides minor variations in the circle or do you need to cut perfect openings? I know the port must be perfect. If I rent a jig saw will spaeker flange hide any minor variations. Thanks. Ray
the driver and horn flanges cover the cutouts [message #36532 is a reply to message #36530] Mon, 20 May 2002 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
but you must avoid the temptation to cut the openings slightly too large, as there is very little "meat" left to attach your t-nuts into.

If you rent a saw, it might be a good idea to practice following a curved line some before cutting the baffles. Goggles and good lighting are a must, a means to secure the workpiece from moving also helps, clamp it down. Buy a quality fine tooth, hollow ground blade, but not the real narrow scroll kind, they can flex sideways while cutting.

Start watching the sale ads, memorial day is right around the corner...maybe a jigsaw "purchase" rather than "rental" would be cheaper in the long run.

Convince the wife you needed it for "artistic self-expression" by cutting out a random scrap of wood, stapling her picture to it (with your new stapler!), and varnishing over it. Hang her on the workshop wall. Works as good as jewelry once in a while. Then on fathers day, she will be more likely to buy you that finishing sander you will be needing... Sam

Re: any tips on cutting baffle circles? [message #36533 is a reply to message #36530] Mon, 20 May 2002 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
I used the inside of the gasket as my hole pattern. You can also get a rolling ruler which is 12" long and has holes where you can pin one as the center and just use the other " correct" hole to drop a pencil through. You just spin it and you get perfect circles. Watch out for the thin blades with the Jig Saw as they will bend and you will end up with a beveled cut. Just take your time.
thanks for the great help (NT) [message #36560 is a reply to message #36530] Tue, 21 May 2002 16:58 Go to previous message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Previous Topic: Question for Wayne
Next Topic: Chicago Horns Summer Bash
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 08:53:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers