Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » group delay
group delay [message #36521] Sat, 18 May 2002 19:15 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Could someone please point to a link about group delay in speakers, or maybe answer some questions?

Concerning loudspeakers

1. Is group delay a big deal?

2. What is the audible consequence of excessive group delay?

3. How large a group delay should one consider excessive?

4. all other things being equal, is a design with lower group delay superior, or is there a threshold below which it ceases to be an issue?

Thomas

Re: group delay [message #36524 is a reply to message #36521] Sat, 18 May 2002 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Group delay is increased if rolloff slope is higher, and it is also increased if the bass extension is made deeper. So one sure way to reduce the group delay figure is to decrease bass extension. Just don't make any bass.

Given two systems with the same driver, whatever is provided to make the amplitude response equal will make the transient response equal too.

street smarts delay [message #36525 is a reply to message #36524] Sat, 18 May 2002 21:16 Go to previous message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Thanks Wayne,
This reminds me of the time alignment issue. It irks me that people just throw this stuff around with such authority. I know better than to listen to just any joker, but people with seemingly good info inflate it to marketable proportion anywhere they can. I wouldn't believe you so easily, except that I ALWAYS see you step off when somebody asks you something you have no experience with. Plus I have your speakers. While I was looking around on this I read where someone said ported boxes couldn't do transient bass in club systems. Yes, ridiculous blanket statement. I would like him to sit in my living room for a few tracks. Bass hits so hard and fast they will make you involuntarily blink. It makes my housemate jennifer get tears for real, I saw it happen.

Thanks again Wayne, your a big help
Thomas

Previous Topic: question about applying veneer
Next Topic: Please "light trough" RCF motors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 07 09:46:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers