Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi questions
4 Pi questions [message #36509] Sat, 18 May 2002 12:15 Go to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Hello all,
Being as it's a rainy weekend and the far better half is out doing stuff I decided not to wait for the Eminence Delta 15s to arrive and started in on the boxes. I know it's risky, because if I botch the woofer holes she may unkindly remind me of the measure twice cut once thing. So two questions:
1. What is the outer diameter of the woofer and the depth of the flange? I want to mount them flush and pretty tight.
2. What are the ramifications of putting the port on the back? I've got the hole cutter chucked in the drill press ready go.

Thank you very much.

John

BTW, now that the boxes are together I think that 8-siding them cut down on the visual size, they don't look as big as I thought they would. Pix coming.

Re: 4 Pi answers [message #36510 is a reply to message #36509] Sat, 18 May 2002 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Here are the relevant mounting dimensions:

Mounting Information Overall Diameter 15.15", 384.8mm
Baffle Hole Diameter 13.77", 349.6mm
Front Sealing Gasket fitted as standard
Rear Sealing Gasket fitted as standard
Mounting Holes Diameter 0.25", 6.4mm
Mounting Hole B.C.D. 14.56", 369.9mm
Depth 6.05", 153.6mm
Shipping Weight 14.6 lbs, 6.6 kg

Re: 4 Pi answers (plus two Pi questions) [message #36511 is a reply to message #36510] Sat, 18 May 2002 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
themilford is currently offline  themilford
Viscount
...won't putting the port in the back make them more sensitive to placement?

I will be building some TwoPi's soon and I was thinking about the same thing.

are there any considerations at all with port placement (even nominal differences)?

Re: 4 Pi answers (plus two Pi questions) [message #36512 is a reply to message #36511] Sat, 18 May 2002 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, putting the port in the back will only require you to leave a bit of clearance between the speaker back and the wall or wahtever. I usually rear mount the ports if the woofer is reproducing higher frequencies so you don't have them eminating from the port and interfering.

They'll still eminate from the port in the back, but a lot less will get around the speaker and to your ear.

Adam

Thanks, and... [message #36514 is a reply to message #36510] Sat, 18 May 2002 15:54 Go to previous message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
if the ferret's smart, the gentle sigh of the fan as the Crown Power Base comes up will be his wake-up call.

John

Previous Topic: LOOKING FOR A 2way Crossover
Next Topic: question about applying veneer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 08 02:22:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers