Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » "Step down" mode
"Step down" mode [message #36474] Thu, 16 May 2002 21:17 Go to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Wayne: In the Electrovoice speaker design paper (not sure where I got it) they talk about running speaker in smaller than optimum boxes, and tuning the port lower than would be for optimum response in the smaller boxes. Then, they run about 6db of boost in the range of the lower port tuning. This gives flat response to a frequency lower than could normally be obtained for a particular drive in a box of that size. They call this "step-down".

Yes, it takes more power, but only on bass notes in that lower, boosted range, and in real music, this is just momentary.

Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

In a way, your Pi folded horn does the same thing, but you are boosting the low end via the horn itself, instead of with extra power of the amp

Re: "Step down" mode [message #36475 is a reply to message #36474] Thu, 16 May 2002 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
The paper was Electrovoice's Pro Sound Facts #7
EBS or "shelved" alignments [message #36478 is a reply to message #36475] Fri, 17 May 2002 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Shelved or stepped response

This would be the so-called EBS alignment, where the tuning frequency is set very low and peaked so that a shelf is formed. It provides flat response down to fh, and then response is reduced but relatively flat below fh down to fl. That's why it requires increased power and is why guys today call it an "Extended Bass Response" or EBS alignment. Apparently Electrovoice called it "Step Down" and I called it "EBS Stepped Response from ported cabinet with specific peaking." This and other characteristic response curves are shown in a post called "Response curves of closed vs. vented systems."

Re: EBS or "shelved" alignments [message #36479 is a reply to message #36478] Fri, 17 May 2002 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks, Wayne... I think the thrust of the EV Pro Sound Facts #7 was building spkrs for "pro sound" or commercial PA use, and there, since you have to move them, smaller is better. And in an auditorium or whatever, one could care less about some low end distortion, huh? Esp. when playing rap for crowds used to hearing music on the "state of the art" car stereo systems (boooom - da - booooooom). Hah!
"Boutique" statement-horn rappers [message #36487 is a reply to message #36479] Fri, 17 May 2002 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I know a popular high-end horn system with woofers like that. Talk about the "Emperor's New Clothes."
Re: "Boutique" statement-horn rappers [message #36489 is a reply to message #36487] Fri, 17 May 2002 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crazy Dave is currently offline  Crazy Dave
Viscount
Hi Wayne,

I don't know if you saw the posts, but "Romy the Cat" uses a system like you described. You know the one with the red or blue metal-flake plastic radial horns.

Dave

Re: "Boutique" statement-horn rappers [message #36491 is a reply to message #36489] Fri, 17 May 2002 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That would be them.
Re: "Boutique" statement-horn rappers [message #36492 is a reply to message #36491] Fri, 17 May 2002 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Speaking of Romy, I'm not sure about those guys at the high efficiency audio asylum. I've gone over there a few times, being very polite, asking some simple questions about my exponential horn designs, and I tend to get very "dry" responses, if I get any at all. Either that, or someone goes ballistic, absolutely out of his skull nuts. I can't stand that place.

Adam

My question re boomy subs [message #36494 is a reply to message #36492] Fri, 17 May 2002 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
One thing I want to ask designers of some car audio (and many home stereo) subs... why, when I perform music, the bass line has different notes in it, but when your subs play the same music, all the bass notes have the same indeterminant pitch? And I have NEVER heard a drummer's kick drum that sounded like THAT! Drummers go to great lengths to damp their kick drum, for a quick Whap! But your "4th order sub" goes "wooooooooom, wooooooooooom, da woooooooooom". Why is that? Which "wooooooooms" are the electric bass, and which are the kick drum?
Re: My question re boomy subs [message #36495 is a reply to message #36494] Fri, 17 May 2002 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
No kidding! I listen for stacatto bass notes, and am surprised how many people will tolerate a bass subsystem that turns staccato bass notes into a single tone. They ring all day long! So that's one of my litmus tests for good bass performance beyond simple extension - Does it reproduce staccato bass well? If not, I'll pass.
Previous Topic: Thermionic or Theater 4 best for Paramours
Next Topic: Cabinet Finishing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 15 05:15:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout