Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » mdf cabinet assembly question
mdf cabinet assembly question [message #36440] Thu, 16 May 2002 06:09 Go to next message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Hi. After all pieces are cut, can anyone write a couple of sentences about the technique of how to glue all pieces together. I think I have to use butt joints because rabbet etc is over my head. Are the front and rear pieces glued to the edges of the sides or do they fit inside of the side pieces ? Do you glue one joint at a time or all pieces at once? Thank so much for your help. Ray.
not sure about the other guys [message #36441 is a reply to message #36440] Thu, 16 May 2002 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
but I usually glue the top/bottom/sides together first, forming a rectangular "skeleton". All cut outs and routing is done to the front baffle, which is attached next. Install your port tube(s). The rear wall is attached last, I used to make them removeable, but when you have a 14 inch "access hole" in front, nonremovable is easier to insure a gool seal. 1x2's are glued horizontally in several places to attach the fiberglass lining and space it away from the walls slightly.

If you only have a jig saw, once the rectangular frame is made, lay it on the plywood and trace out the exact dimensions of your front/rear panels, then cut as close, but OUTSIDE, the lines as possible, to avoid excess sanding. The 4 Pi Pro's I built in this manner were all plain glued butt joints, done with care. I think leaving out the screws joining the panel edges MIGHT reduce the chance of splitting later, since stress at the screw holes is avoided. For sure you save the time otherwise spent drilling/screwing and applying filler over the heads.

For a single project, the "drill/glue/screw method" will be cheaper than buying the 6 clamps or so I needed. Be sure to invest in the proper pilot hole drill for the screws you choose. Good Luck! Sam

Re: mdf cabinet assembly question [message #36444 is a reply to message #36440] Thu, 16 May 2002 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
On MDF I have had good success using butt joints and just glue - no screws. I like to assemble the front, sides, top and bottom all at once. It is a bit awkward and you will need some clamps. Using screws can help this - it eliminates the need for clamps. The reason I do it this way is that I get a better fit around the front baffle. Also, on MDF if your edges are a bit proud you can use a flush trimming bit on a router to just wiz them down to a nice flat finish with the other panels.
Steve
flush trimming router bit [message #36445 is a reply to message #36444] Thu, 16 May 2002 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
would have saved me a lot of sanding. That tip was worth its weight in gold. Thanks, Sam

I am on my way to the hardware store right now!!!

cab assy [message #36456 is a reply to message #36441] Thu, 16 May 2002 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
For PA and MI spkrs, I make my cabinets so there is a 2" setback from the front edge to the baffle. This provides protection to the drivers. Of course, for a Pi style folded horn, this would not be necessary, nor with a spkr for home use.

With ply cabinets, I use small finishing nails or brads to tack the spkr together until the glue dries. Screws are really unnecessary. The important thing is accurate, tight fit. For MDF, the screws and glue may be better.

I glue all sides and front and rear... all access is done through the woofer hole.

To glue the crossover components... E6000 glue, Alene's 7800, or Goop Automotive Adhesive and Sealant. These are all the same, which are "SBR" adhesives. That is Styrene Butadyene Rubber. It dries clear, and is very, very slightly flexible. It bonds dissimilar materials very well. I have not had a coil come loose yet with this stuff.

Predrill all holes. The screws will hole well without breaking up the materal around it, and thus, actually a better hold.

Woofers MUST have T-nuts behind them. Screwing into the baffle only is OK, but only with light drivers. Heavy pro drivers as used for Pi Spkrs, wood screws only will not do.

Re: not sure about the other guys [message #36462 is a reply to message #36441] Thu, 16 May 2002 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Use self tapping drywall screws.
Ron
thanks for the responses (NT) [message #36467 is a reply to message #36440] Thu, 16 May 2002 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray99 is currently offline  ray99
Chancellor
Black pan screws for mounting small drivers [message #36490 is a reply to message #36462] Fri, 17 May 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree with you. I'm not really talking about cabinet construction but I like using these screws for mounting small and medium format drivers to the baffle. For that purpose, A pan screw as used for drywall is perfect. I used to hand paint the screws black, but now I use the 1" long #8 pan screws shown below, and get them from www.idxmart.com, part number 1F943-26637.

Fasteners: US Standard: Steel: Screws, Wood, Pan, Particle Board, Phillips, Type A Point, Black Finish
Seller: LGI
Part Number: 1F943-26637
Package Size: 100
Diameter: #8
Length: 1

Re: Black pan screws for mounting small drivers [message #36545 is a reply to message #36490] Mon, 20 May 2002 17:19 Go to previous message
RJW is currently offline  RJW
Chancellor
Thanks for the cool link.
c':^)
Previous Topic: good info site
Next Topic: Pi Speaker enclosure for Coaxial
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jun 29 11:51:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio