Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » First Impressions: Thermionic 3pi
First Impressions: Thermionic 3pi [message #36407] Mon, 13 May 2002 07:23 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Well I finished my Thermionic 3pi's on Friday and started playing music. Thought I'd post some initial impressions. I took some photos this weekend, but since I don't have a digital camera, I'll have to wait for them to come back from the lab. At any rate, I think the cabinets turned out great. I ended up using cherry 3/4 ply for the sides and top, and Baltic birch for the front, back and bottom. I veneered the front in cherry, nice book matched stuff - it looks great. The finish is about 7 coats of tung oil.
As for sound... fantastic! I'm comparing these to my old Areiel 7's (at about $3k) and my recent entry into single drivers, the Fostex 168 sigmas. The 3pi bested both of them easily. There is a beautiful clarity in the upper ranges, without any sense of harshness. The bottom is nice and solid, much better than my backloaded horn Fostex's. I would say the Fostex had a bit better weight in the lower mids - but I'm betting that's because the 3pi's aren't broken in much yet. I don't know if weight is the right word - maybe "elegance" would be a better word. At any rate, it isn't a big difference.
I played the speakers most of the weekend - I really can't say enough good about them - really exciting sound. The bass, in particular has such nice authority without any sense of being boomy. Some people have posted questions about how the pi's image. I was very concerned about this, but found that these guys image very well indeed. I currently have them about an inch or two from a back wall. I will play with placement a bit more over the next few days as they break in.
Finally, The support from Wayne and helpful ideas from the forum have been greatly appreciated - thanks all! I'll post some photos soon as I can.
Steve
Re: First Impressions: Thermionic 3pi [message #36413 is a reply to message #36407] Mon, 13 May 2002 10:29 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Glad you have them together and they're sounding good to you! I'm anxious to see some photos of them too, so post them when you can!

Previous Topic: driver with a fs/Qes>120
Next Topic: CD vs expo horns
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 06:57:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout