Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Wayne, check this out...
Wayne, check this out... [message #36319] Tue, 07 May 2002 05:48 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Response of an Eminence PSD 3003 in a waveguide, not so hot... :/

Maybe you should reconsider your use of this driver for high frequency duty.

Adam

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36320 is a reply to message #36319] Tue, 07 May 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36321 is a reply to message #36320] Tue, 07 May 2002 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I prefer to use 1" compression horns in two-way systems, because 2" exit devices don't have the top octave performance. They're just too big. Compensation helps a lot though.

If you order a PSD3003 from Eminence right now, you'll find they're not in stock. Anything else will be at your door in days, but the PSD3003 and its diaphragms aren't available. I suspect they are preparing to supercede it with a replacement.

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36322 is a reply to message #36321] Tue, 07 May 2002 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yeah, the guy said they are working on improving the frequency response. He didn't need me to tell him it was pretty lame.

Adam

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36323 is a reply to message #36322] Tue, 07 May 2002 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Have you tried the JBL 2446 or 2450 2" exit compression drivers? They are much more expensive, but much more high quality too. And then there's the TAD 4001.

Alternately, consider running a cone driver midrange. You can horn load them and crossover to 1" compression drivers, which perform much better at high frequency than the larger drivers with 2" throats.

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36325 is a reply to message #36323] Tue, 07 May 2002 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Oh yeah I've been thinking about them, but I could buy a used car for what four of the friggin' things will cost me. That'll come to about three grand cdn man, I need four of them :(.

I'm trying to keep the system to a 3-way design, and there aren't really any horns that will load from 200-2000 Hz effectively. perhaps that is my downfall, that I'm not willing to go 4-way. Perhaps I will consider it.

40-160, 160-800, 800-2500, 2500 and up?

I don't know of any decent 8" drivers to load from 800-2500. All the Eminence ones are pretty high Q units... If I remember correctly. I'll have to take a second look. Any suggestions?

Adam

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36326 is a reply to message #36325] Tue, 07 May 2002 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Woo nevermind, Eminence Beta 8" is packin' a qts of .31 I think and an EBP of 160 or so. Perfect for horn loading!!!!

I just hope it sounds decent... Any experience here Wayne?

Adam

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36329 is a reply to message #36325] Tue, 07 May 2002 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Any use for this driver?
Maximum Output Transducers: 2012H and 2020H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unlike JBL’s traditional SFG (Symmetrical Field Geometry) motor structures, the Maximum Output transducers employ a new magnetic structure with a copper sleeve symmetrically positioned on the polepiece above and below the top plate. This copper sleeve is located in a larger voice coil gap than is found in traditional designs, and provides significant reductions in both second and third order harmonic distortion with a single design element. Due to this innovative new magnet structure design, these transducers exhibit extremely low midband distortion and feature a very smooth, gradually rising response over the transducers' target operating ranges.

A hallmark of these units is their enhanced dynamic compression characteristics. Power compression in all loudspeakers results from the increase in voice coil temperature and the consequent rise in dc resistance. Power compression at high operating levels can rob music of its essential dynamics. Professional users who are concerned with performance under long-term periods of continuous usage at or near rated power will find that these transducers exhibit approximately 3 dB of power compression at full rated power.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2012H 250mm (10 in) Midrange/Midbass Transducer 2012H Specification Sheet
(Adobe Acrobat, 146kb)

The 2012H Maximum Output transducer is specifically designed to provide smooth, low-distortion midrange output for the highest quality sound reinforcement applications. It is suitable for use in both direct radiator and horn-loaded applications, and can be mounted in small enclosures while maintaining smooth, peak-free response.
300 W AES continuous pink noise power capacity
8 ohm impedance
76 mm (3 in) edgewound aluminum ribbon voice coil
75 Hz-7 kHz response
100 dB sensitivity, 1 W, 1 m (3.3 ft)
New magnet structure with enhanced distortion-reduction characteristics
Net weight: 8.6 kg (19 lb.)

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36331 is a reply to message #36325] Tue, 07 May 2002 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Look at the JBL 2012 and the Eminence Delta 10. They're 10 inch drivers, not 8 inch, but I don't suspect that matters to you. I think you'll find they will serve you well for horn loaded midrange drivers. A three-way speaker is essentially a decade-split system, where each subsystem must cover a decade. A decade is about the bandwidth limit of a horn, so a three-way split can be a nice solution.

Two-way speakers require five octaves from each subsystem, and their main advantage is that of simplicity. There is only one crossover point, so there is only one place to consider the effects of overlap. This option is made possible since most speaker motors cover five octaves adequately. However, no horns have this kind of bandwidth, so horn loading can only benefit a part of system response. Compensation must be used if horn are employed over three octaves, so it is a "must" in horn-loaded two-way speakers.

Re: Wayne, check this out... [message #36333 is a reply to message #36326] Tue, 07 May 2002 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
Hi Adam,

The JBL tent sale has a batch of 2123J's for $130.
These look flat as a board, 101dB, ~200Hz-> 5-6KHz.
250watts. They are 16ohm drivers, though. Maybe those
would fit the bill.

Chris

Previous Topic: L-pad calculator
Next Topic: Built-in bass for Oris horns in dedicated sound room
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Sep 29 18:19:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio