Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Ten Pi Info
Ten Pi Info [message #36288] Sun, 05 May 2002 11:20 Go to next message
Josh Fitzpatrick is currently offline  Josh Fitzpatrick
Esquire
I'm interested in building a pair of ten Pi's using Eminence Kapppa-15lf. I have gone over the site on multiple occasions and think understand all the fundamentals. After using Pialign I came up with an enclosure volume of about 2.5 cuft (that is after adding 10%)Does this sound about right.

I am however a little confused on how you find port length and its placement in the enclosure. How do you find the port length and the corrected port length both at the same time?
Pialign also says I should use a 3.5 inch port that is 10 inches long. The depth of the enclosure is only eleven inches.

Also, would I want to a psd2002 for the HF driver, and with which horn.

I would be very thankful if you could send me plans so I can see what right, and or horribly wrong.

One last thing on the Pi alignment theory paper. The page to find the dimensions of the folded horn and enclosure, are X Y and Z internal or external lengths.

Thanks for taking the time,

Josh Fitzpatrick

Re: Ten Pi Info [message #36289 is a reply to message #36288] Sun, 05 May 2002 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't know how anybody else built theirs, but I ran into the same problem you did. My solution was to extend the port out from the baffle a little.

Just so you know, I used Kappa 15lf's in my pair as well, and I'm quite happy with them. A bit of midbass boominess, however that likely has more to do with the bracing situation rather than the driver itself.

I don't recall the exact alignment I used anymore, but it was something like 2.2 cubic feet (after displacement) with a 4"x10" port, with around a pound of polyfill in the chamber.

Adam

Re: Ten Pi Info [message #36290 is a reply to message #36288] Sun, 05 May 2002 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I don't use the Kappa series, but Adam has reported success with this driver in his version of the ten π horn. The "Pi Alignment Theory" document shows the formulas used for calulating cabinet volume and port size. The PiAlign program is usually pretty good at recommending a port that works well in the cabinet, avoiding those that are too long to fit in the cabinet. But if there are absolutely no other good choices, it will occasionally suggest a long port, which can be bent into an L shape to fit into the cabinet. Alternatively, you can calculate by hand to see if there are other choices that will work for you.

I generally like to use the Peavey CH-3 or Eminence H290 horns. Each provides smooth response. There are other horns that could be used, but those two have worked very well for me so I've stuck with them. They provide good loading down to the crossover point, and uniform directivity, which is important in many of my loudspeaker designs.

Re: Ten Pi Info [message #36291 is a reply to message #36290] Sun, 05 May 2002 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Mind if I comment a bit, Wayne?

Firstly, Kappa's EBP is about 105, which is roughly in line with most of the other woofers used in ten pi speakers. There might be slightly better choices, but my experience with the Kappas has been they are fine for horn loading.

I run my ten pi's at 1.5 kHz instead of 1.6 kHz. I know it's a minute difference, but I have been running them fine at that frequency. I just thought I would mention it, because that is what Eminence recommends for the minimum cutoff.

Adam

Re: Ten Pi info [message #36293 is a reply to message #36288] Sun, 05 May 2002 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh Fitzpatrick is currently offline  Josh Fitzpatrick
Esquire
How about dfitz@execpc.com

I have been looking at the Alignment paper for awhile. I looked again after getting back from a movie and one of the other formulas suddenly made sense. I guess I just had to let my brain rest a while.

You have mail! [message #36294 is a reply to message #36293] Sun, 05 May 2002 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: Ten Pi Info [message #36301 is a reply to message #36288] Mon, 06 May 2002 07:42 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
You could always use a 90 degree fitting on your vent if you had too...or you could get one of those gucci flexible ones the boom cars guys use to put 18" drivers in a 1 cubic foot box for their Honda civics....(just a touch of animosity there....I think it should be legal to carry a box of hand grenades in your vehicle so you could toss one in the open window of every boom car one comes across so they could experience one very loud very final BOOM!!!!!!!!! heheheheheheh)
Kelly
( I really hate those guys)
Previous Topic: need to find a complete selection of drivers
Next Topic: Using a JBL 2405 w/2" compression driver.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jun 14 16:20:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio