Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi designed bass for Oris horns?
Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36223] Thu, 02 May 2002 13:17 Go to next message
JLM is currently offline  JLM
Viscount
Has anyone tried to use one of Wayne's bass designs for an Oris 150/200 Lowther based speaker? I'm considering a very small SET amp in a dedicated sound room for classical, jazz, and pop at average 85 dB sound pressure levels. The room will be roughly 21 ft x 13 ft x 8 ft and well dampened.

The Oris horns are 106 dB efficient and cross over at 160 Hz for the 150 model and 220 Hz for the 200 model at 6/12 dB per octave.

Calling Dr. Wayne, what's your perscription for these ailments?

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36226 is a reply to message #36223] Thu, 02 May 2002 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

See the link:
Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36232 is a reply to message #36226] Thu, 02 May 2002 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frode is currently offline  Frode
Baron
Hi!

I've used 4Pi with JBL 2226H below my Oris 200. This is a very nice combination, but the deepest bass is missing. Wayne suggested a 2245H but it is difficult to get here in Norway and besides, my upper limit for box size is around 5 cu.ft. I think both the 4Pi with a 2245 and the 10Pi with a 2226/2227 would be a nice match for the Oris. I guess the 2235H also would be nice. As far as I can remember, the 2235 driver should be used in a 4 cu.ft box according to PiAlign.

Frode

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36235 is a reply to message #36226] Fri, 03 May 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the response Wayne, but I don't even know enough to be dangerous. I need spoon feeding:

Could you recommend an amp to drive the Pi bass units?

Don't know the efficiency of any of these or how they would cross over.

These would be going into a dedicated sound room, so size would not be a huge consideration.

How low would the 10 Pi option go down to?

Where can I listen to one?

How much bigger to get down to 20 Hz?

Am I the only dummy here?

thank you Dr. Wayne

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36236 is a reply to message #36235] Fri, 03 May 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Bert has a suggestion for a passive line level filter at the bottom of his manual page.

Frode

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36252 is a reply to message #36235] Fri, 03 May 2002 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You wrote:

>> Could you recommend an amp to drive the Pi bass units?

I like Crown amps, lots of clean power. But there's a bunch of other amps that are suitable too.

>> Don't know the efficiency of any of these or how
>> they would cross over.

Obviously, this is application specific. But you could do it actively or passively without much difficulty.

>> How low would the 10 Pi option go down to?

A 2226-based ten π horn is strong down to 40Hz.

>> Where can I listen to one?

How far are you from Tulsa?

>> How much bigger to get down to 20 Hz?

Huge. I'd say horns that are useful to 20Hz would be for permanent installation only. You can make a reasonably sized reflex cabinet reach 20Hz, or you could make a transmission line, possibly a TL pseudo-horn. But a true basshorn that reaches 20Hz is a massive device.

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36254 is a reply to message #36252] Sat, 04 May 2002 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
OK, now you're messing up my head - visions of audio sugar plums blurred with capacitors, resistors, and cabinet options. I'm a pitiful example of an 45 yr old engineer, because I never understood electronics (degree in civil engineering).

I remember Crown amps from the 70's. We considered them big, built like tanks, used mostly for professional applications, and not cheap. Is this the same as you mentioned? OK, confession time, I was thinking about using a Decware amp.

I'm 700 miles from Tulsa, but have relatives in Springfield, MO so as we get closer coming to you would be a real possibility.

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36255 is a reply to message #36236] Sat, 04 May 2002 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks Frode, but designing/building custom electronics it too much for me. I want to know how it's going to sound before I make big investments in money and/or effort.

Don't misunderstand, I've built pre-amp and power amp kits (with some help). But those were from Hafler, so no designing, and I could hear examples before hand. I've also built transmission line cabinets for 8 inch drivers, but those were from a company I was very familar with.

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36256 is a reply to message #36254] Sat, 04 May 2002 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Next time you plan a trip to Spingfield, be sure and make some time to come to Tulsa.

Re: Pi designed bass for Oris horns? [message #36257 is a reply to message #36254] Sat, 04 May 2002 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
I'm waiting for some parts to finish my bass amp and in-line filter, so for the time being, I only use a L-pad to dampen the horns. The whole system is powered by a 2A3 amp. This sounds quite nice, and I believe the system would work very well with a passive crossover. I could live happy with this and a 20w tube amp.
Previous Topic: 10pi + fronthorn
Next Topic: My Oris/10Pi system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 14 14:24:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout