Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » More on Cabinet Finishing
More on Cabinet Finishing [message #36228] Thu, 02 May 2002 17:45 Go to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Okay, I think I need some help. I've made my Thermionic 3pi cabinets - cherry all the way around. I've put on three coats of tung oil and it just isn't doing what I want. I'm using pure tung oil and following the directions: first sand to 320, then oil using the palm of your hand (messy), then let it set for 15 minutes, wipe off the extra. Next time through sand to 600 grit, and oil, set, wipe..
So far after 3 coats I still get what look like dry spots and an uneven sheen. What am I doing wrong? I'd like to have a nice even gloss finish - not a mirror gloss, I like to see the grain, but uniformly shiny. Should I switch to a tung oil/varnish product? Should I let it be uneven then wax it later? Help!
Steve
Re: More on Cabinet Finishing [message #36229 is a reply to message #36228] Thu, 02 May 2002 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
silly question, but are you letting it dry 24hours before the next coat?
As Sam P. found out, Tung oil is a 'tweener [message #36230 is a reply to message #36228] Thu, 02 May 2002 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It is at the same time a penetrating and surface coating. It sounds like you are properly applying thin coats and it will take at least 5 or 6 to get a nice finish.
As soon as a thin coat dries without the dry looking spots, apply the next 2 or 3 with Handi-Wipes you buy at the supermarket. Put on even thinner coats wiping in one direction like you were applying a finishing coat with a brush. Now use 0000 steel wool instead of the sandpaper. Should be looking like a nice satin finish.
Get some Johnsons Paste Wax, dig out a big glob and put inside a square of the Handi-Wipes. Wrap that in another piece and now you have an applicator to put on a nice thin coat of wax without constantly going back to the tin. Start wiping before the haze really sets or you'll be working too hard.
Remember, the longevity of the Great Wall of China is attributed to soaking the stones with Tung oil.
Re: More on Cabinet Finishing [message #36231 is a reply to message #36229] Thu, 02 May 2002 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Yes, 24 hours - I put the next coat on every night right after work. Sounds like I need a couple more coats yet. Guess I'm just impatient.
Steve
I think you're... [message #36240 is a reply to message #36228] Fri, 03 May 2002 15:54 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
sanding too soon with too fine a paper. Also try keeping the surface wet longer but make sure you take off ALL the excess or you will have a big mess to sand off. I've got excellent results with only 3 coats and a one wet sand with 320....smooth as a babes behind (The 20 year old kind ...hehehehehe)....but I sanded to 240 on the bare wood first.
Kelly

Previous Topic: Plans needed
Next Topic: 2226+2618+Diana Krall In Paris=Vinyl? CD? SACD? DVD-A?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 02 13:13:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio