Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers
Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers [message #36108] Fri, 26 April 2002 12:56 Go to next message
RyanH is currently offline  RyanH
Chancellor
Very soon I will be building a pair of speakers for PA use with Eminence Kappa 15LFA woofers (already have) and a yet-undecided, but almost definitely the Selenium D205TI compression driver. The D205TI is on sale right now for $35 and I just don't know if I could swing the extra for the PSD2002. Also, for the horn lens I was thinking about going with one of the inexpensive or on sale ones for around $10, would this work? If it is too thin I can coat the back with fiberglass resin or something. I'm basically looking to cut costs the most. Since I will have to build a crossover for this, I was wondering if the top octave compensation used in Pi speakers could be used for this, since I've seen mentioned that its a general compensation for all compression drivers. Thanks for all help in this area, and I will be using Speaker Workshop to model the xovers. I've also got a nasty peak in the 15LFA's response to take care of, so I'll definitely have a challenge ahead of me. Thanks for any help!!
--Ryan
yeah [message #36110 is a reply to message #36108] Fri, 26 April 2002 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
Yeah. I'm pretty sure you can use it, of course the amount of upper octave compensation is going to depend on how much the main compensation is. Whatever the case, it should work fine. heh though, wait for Waynes answer.

Danny.

"if it's not you, then do it for the sake of fashion
your friends like a certain you, that's who you've got to be"

-Pedro the lion
From "It's Hard to Find a Friend - When they really get to know you they will run"

Re: Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers [message #36111 is a reply to message #36108] Fri, 26 April 2002 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Depending on the horn lense you'll be using, you will likely still need compensation.

Bi-radial lenses like the CH-3 will attenuate the top end of the compression driver's response, so compensation wouldn't hurt. However, I don't think you will need as much with that compression driver. Wayne's compensation circuit takes into account the natural rolloff of the PSD2002's as well as flare modification.

If I remember correctly, the Selenium compression drivers all go down to 1,000 Hz or so (agian, if I remember right) I would urge you to try taking it that low. If not, a 2nd order LP at 1.5 kHz with impedance compensation will handle the peaking adequately, coming from a guy who has owned a total of eight K15lfa's.

Adam

Re: Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers [message #36112 is a reply to message #36108] Fri, 26 April 2002 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Brian Jefferys chose Selenium D205TI drivers for the seven π cornerhorns he built last year. He said they worked very well in that system, with the standard π crossover used in them, which includes top-octave compensation. See his thread called "My Pi sevens using Selenium parts" for more information.
Re: Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers [message #36115 is a reply to message #36112] Fri, 26 April 2002 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,
Thats good news about the driver. Its great to hear others have done this with success, thats very reassuring. I think I'll try and have my parents place the order this weekend so the parts will all be waiting for me when I get back home from college (2 weeks!). Thanks for all the help and great site!
--Ryan
Re: Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers [message #36116 is a reply to message #36111] Fri, 26 April 2002 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the great advice on the crossover, that's going to be very useful when I try and tackle that problem, which doesn't seem so bad now. Also, I was wondering about the 1000 Hz xo point you were talking about, how much does it reduce power handling? Maybe I could compromise and go up to ~1250 or so. I don't want there to be much of a chance of blowing one of these drivers since it'll likely happen when I'm out at college 1500 miles away and I'll have to talk them through every step to replace the driver/coil/whatever. My parents will be using these for PA applications, so that's why I worry. Thanks for the wisdom!
--Ryan
Re: yeah [message #36117 is a reply to message #36110] Fri, 26 April 2002 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Pedro at the Showbox on may 25, I'm there!! Thanks for posting that link, I knew they had a show in Seattle soon, but I wasn't exactly sure when. I think "Its Hard to Find a Friend" is the best CD of theirs I've heard, but I haven't heard all of "Whole" and still need to hear their new stuff. My favorite Pedro song is probably "Bad Diary Days" however, theres just something about it. For Death Cab, I love listening to the entire "We have the facts" CD. Also, check out Ben Gibbard's side project "All time quarterback" if you like Death Cab a lot. I'm excited now for that show, woohoo!
Later,
Ryan
Re: Top octave compensation on non Eminence comp drivers [message #36125 is a reply to message #36116] Sat, 27 April 2002 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No problem.

I'm not sure about the power handling issues. The PDF on that unit has the power handling at 1.2 kHz, 12db/octave at 100 watts musical, so maybe 50wrms. That's probably what I would recommend, except 18db/octave crossover instead. With that, you should be fine.

I would also recommend impedance compensation on the compression driver. The impedance plot shows two distinct spikes right in the xover point region, which will probably change the function of the crossover. Impedance compensation should flatten these peaks.

Adam

what did you think about the dip near 6K?(nt) [message #36130 is a reply to message #36125] Sat, 27 April 2002 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
nt
Re: what did you think about the dip near 6K?(nt) [message #36133 is a reply to message #36130] Sat, 27 April 2002 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's a very signifigant dip, around 10 decibels if I read the graph correctly. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this with a passive crossover, but you could at least equalize it out. However, it will be noticable.

My other concern is the 15+ decible peak at around 19 kHz. It might be noticable after you use compensation circuitry because it will translate to 15 db above reference. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though.

Ryan, after checking out the response graph, it seems to be similar to the PSD2002, except more ragged. You could probably use identical compensation circuits (perhaps use a slightly smaller capacitor value) and still get decent results.

Adam

Previous Topic: Oops.. too big!
Next Topic: bmar, please see this post about my Basie
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 17 01:25:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers