Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater series Four Pi
Theater series Four Pi [message #36067] Mon, 22 April 2002 13:06 Go to next message
wasteh202 is currently offline  wasteh202
Master
In the Theater series, what is different (from the rest of the series) about the "Four Pi" that makes it tube friendly?
Re: Theater series Four Pi [message #36068 is a reply to message #36067] Mon, 22 April 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One thing that is very important for good sound on low-power SET amp is how the woofer acts at resonance. All speakers have an impedance peak when driven at their resonant frequency. This condition is also associated with back-EMF and amplifiers with lower damping factor are less able to control the motor; Particularly troublesome are those with greater impedance peaks, which are then creating more back-EMF.

When you put a speaker in a cabinet, it changes this peak and makes the speaker have a different impedance curve. Sealed cabinets tend to shift the peak up in frequency. Reflex cabinets create two peaks, both having less impedance than the single free-air peak. Horns and transmission lines create multiple peaks, generally lower in amplitude than the free-air peak, depending on flare shape and rear chamber.

Impedance fluxuations cause problems for tube amps, altering their response curve. The speaker impedance forms a voltage divider with the amp's output impedance, and if the ratio of impedances fluxuates, then the power transfer does too. So to make a long story short, if you have a small signal tube amp, you'll want to find a speaker with a low impedance peak at resonance, somtimes referred to as "Zmax."

Re: Theater series Four Pi [message #36069 is a reply to message #36068] Mon, 22 April 2002 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Thanks Wayne; Low impedance being what?
Re: Theater series Four Pi [message #36070 is a reply to message #36069] Mon, 22 April 2002 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For a reflex box, I'd choose a driver with free-air impedance at Fts under 100 ohms, better if under 50.

Re: Theater series Four Pi [message #36075 is a reply to message #36070] Mon, 22 April 2002 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Wayne --- thanks for trying but I still don't get it... But that's O.K. What I really need to know is that the Four pi (theater) will work for a low-powered tube amp -- Thanks.

one more question; I don't suppose there would be much point in bi-amping such a sensitive speaker would there? (for home use)

Re: Theater series Four Pi [message #36076 is a reply to message #36075] Mon, 22 April 2002 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Theater four π speakers work great with SET amps. And about biamping, it's a good idea. But I am always concerned that the crossover be implemented properly - You need an appropriate filter in front of the amps and you need to make sure and remove reactive components after the amps. To find an "appropriate filter" for a preamp-level crossover is not a trivial task because the response curve of the tweeter circuit is somewhat complex. It's not like rocket science or anything, but we do want a response curve that looks exactly like what is shown here:

Response curve required for compression horn tweeters

Re: Theater series Four Pi [message #36081 is a reply to message #36076] Tue, 23 April 2002 11:33 Go to previous message
Master
Thanks Wayne, I'll be watching for the XO's your working on to come out. I know that you will be able to recomend the right one for the right speaker.
Previous Topic: Port size question
Next Topic: compression driver + 15 inch or large piezo horn + 15 inch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 12 00:34:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout