Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Question for Wayne
Question for Wayne [message #35984] Mon, 15 April 2002 18:15 Go to next message
BobCat is currently offline  BobCat
Chancellor
Hi Wayne,
Which budget speaker is best for use with my ASL AV8 Wave 8 watts per channel tube amps? I have a very limited budget; system will be used mostly in relatively smaller rooms. I listen to James Taylor, Karla Bonoff, Ray Boltz, Eva Cassidy, Michael W. Smith and other CCM for the most part. Which would be better, One Pi or Two Pi?

Much appreciated,
BobCat

one π, two π and four π kits [message #35986 is a reply to message #35984] Mon, 15 April 2002 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Currently, the most popular speakers I have for your system are the Theater Series four π and the Studio Series two π Speakers.

Kits include the speaker drivers, the connector panel and hook up wires. For larger speakers that incorporate a compression tweeter and crossover network, kits also include the crossover, tweeter compensation cable assembly, Zobel woofer damper, and all cable assemblies are completed and ready to install. Every kit also has the bolts to mount the compression driver to the horn, the "π" logo decal and a printed copy of the plans.

Baltic Birch Ply or MDF? [message #35987 is a reply to message #35986] Mon, 15 April 2002 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BobCat is currently offline  BobCat
Chancellor
Wayne,
Thanks for your timely reply to my post! I am wondering if I might substitute Baltic Birch Plywood for the MDF in your kits? Or is this a bad idea? What do you think about using AcoustaStuf or Deflex pads in place of fiberglass stuffing? How much stuffing do you use and where is it placed? What would it cost to ship a pair of completed Two Pi's to Dubuque, Iowa 52003? Last question: what is the "connector panel" you referred to above?
Blessings,
BobCat
Re: Baltic Birch Ply or MDF? [message #35988 is a reply to message #35987] Mon, 15 April 2002 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Baltic birch would be just fine. Here's the connector panel included with the kits:

pe 260-311 is similar, but mounts in a 3 in. [message #35992 is a reply to message #35988] Tue, 16 April 2002 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
round hole. The holes in the posts easily accepted bare monster cable type wire and clamped very securely, in spite of the "cosmetic only" knurling present. I figured to save time on the cutouts by using my hole saw...then the 260-311 panels were back ordered for 2 weeks:(
I've used acoustic foam, acoustic stuffing, carpet, polyfil and who knows what else inside cabinets. R13 spaced 1 inch from the walls in my 4 Pi Pro's is in another class completely. I almost feel that for a small enclosure, just lining the rear wall with R13 would suffice...
Actually, the R13 might be overkill. At least an extra 3/4 cu.ft. of "apparent box volume" was present when I put 1.2 cu.ft. of R13 into a box whose actual physical net volume was very close to 2.5 cu.ft. This causes your resulting box tuning to be lower than calculated...what boxplot predicted to be a 54-57Hz. Fb measured as about a 40Hz. tuning result. Using an "estimated" Vb of 3.3 cu.ft., ports of another, shorter length were calculated to acheive the desired 54-57Hz. outcome. Again, the box "acted" larger than it's physical size...tuning is now at about 50 Hz...and boxplot claims the woofer should "be happy" where it is now.
Playing with boxplot will show you the consequences of your enclosure tuning being too low(or too high). If you can verify what you have...it might improve your system response, if the tuning is found to be incorrect and then corrected. Sam
Re: one π, two π and four π kits [message #35999 is a reply to message #35986] Wed, 17 April 2002 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Hi Wayne,
I haven't build a set of speakers before and with barely passable knowledge in electronics (the only electronic kit I built was the Foreplay), how easy is the theater 4 Pi to build if I can commision someone to build the cabinets for me? Also how much for the s/h of a paired kit of theater 4 Pi to South San Francisco?
One last question, Wayne. Is it possible to built a crossoverless theater 4 Pis? Someone told me before that crossoverless speakers do sound better than one with x'over.
Thanks,
Edwin
Re: one π, two π and four π kits [message #36000 is a reply to message #35999] Wed, 17 April 2002 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It is impossible to run a four π loudspeaker without a crossover. You can replace the passive crossover with an active one, but the speaker needs some type of crossover. As for the level of complexity building a kit, no soldering is required, so it's really "plug and play" in that regard. You'll need to physically install the components into your cabinet and that's all.

Thanks Wayne (nt) [message #36013 is a reply to message #36000] Wed, 17 April 2002 14:52 Go to previous message
Edwin is currently offline  Edwin
Baron
Previous Topic: Speaker Plans
Next Topic: Active Crossover Designs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:43:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers