Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Horn flare survey
Take 290, stick to Eminence for whole speaker (nt) [message #35966 is a reply to message #35941] Mon, 15 April 2002 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik from Holand is currently offline  Erik from Holand
Esquire
(nt)
290 - Same bang, less buck (nt) [message #35967 is a reply to message #35941] Mon, 15 April 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
Re: Horn flare survey [message #35975 is a reply to message #35941] Mon, 15 April 2002 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hodel is currently offline  Hodel
Esquire
290's are fine if you can resolve the bolt hole problem.
I'm sure Wayne will provide proper bolts [message #35982 is a reply to message #35941] Mon, 15 April 2002 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
so I vote for the H290. I don't care for the prominent seam on the CH3. I would have used some nice socket head bolts...of course the hardware store had only 3! Sam

BTW, you all DID put the bolts thru the holes in the horn first, and then put the driver in position, slowly turning the bolts into the holes threaded in the driver, right? I don't recall interference...

Thanks for all your input! [message #35989 is a reply to message #35941] Tue, 16 April 2002 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, the vote was 10 out of 13 preferred the H290. Hmm. I hate these difficult-to-make split decisions.

Actually, the two of the votes I counted weren't really votes - Garland and Till E. commented on the H290 witjout actually stating a preference. But since Garland used the H290 and Till used the CH-3, it seemed appropriate to count one for each of them.

I guess I'm a contrarian because I like the CH-3 much better. It looks better to me in large cabinets, and the seam can't be seen from just a few feet away. But I suspect it's what scares many people away - I know it did me when I first saw it but it's too small to be an acoustic issue and I've never found them to break loose or buzz.

Still, since almost everyone likes the H290, I'll change all the plans that use 1.6kHz crossovers to use this horn instead. That really sucks. It's the only reason I even asked - I hoped more of you would like the CH-3 so I wouldn't have to change the plans. But it is less expensive, and it is attractive. You must all admit - The speakers we've seen with both horn types looked absolutely great.

I'm going to fudge just a little bit though. I'm not really going to change all the plans to use the CH-3. I'll just move the "threshold" up from 4 cubic feet to 8 - any cabinet larger than 8 cubic feet will still use the CH-3. The larger cabinets really do benefit from the larger horn. As you all have noticed, the speakers between 6 and 8 cubic feet look great with either horn. Speakers less than 4 cubic feet need the H290 and speakers greater than 8 need the CH-3. This means that all of the four π Speakers will now use the H290, instead of just the Pro models.

But as far as obtaining Peavey products for larger speakers is concerned - Don't worry about that. I'll supply CH-3's. I actually have some in inventory, and I maintain this for my own use. Now that will pretty much be limited to ten π's, but I'd be happy to get a person a pair of CH-3's for their four π's if you want 'em.

What can be done about the inconsistent bolt holes?(nt) [message #35993 is a reply to message #35989] Tue, 16 April 2002 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
nt
Use 1/4"-20 x 3/4" bolts [message #35995 is a reply to message #35993] Tue, 16 April 2002 09:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've never had a problem with the bolt holes. The throat is very close, this is true. But when I've used 1/4"-20 bolts that were 3/4" long, I've never had to modify the horn to install the bolts.

Previous Topic: Wayne, what about the compensation network??
Next Topic: crossover design... help....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 12:24:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio