Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » People using Paramours...
People using Paramours... [message #35969] Mon, 15 April 2002 06:52 Go to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I was just curious as to which mods you've done on your Paramours. Mine have got the C4S, but that's it. Any recommendations on what maybe to start with? These are being used with my Theater 4s. Thanks.

Kevin

Impeccable timing [message #35970 is a reply to message #35969] Mon, 15 April 2002 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Two developments you should know about; I'm currently trying one:
Voltsecond's "cathode mod" being discussed on the Bottlehead Forum and available at his site:
http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSecond/index.html
and the TJ Meshplates 2.5v variant on a 300B envelope output tube.
Garland has tried the "cathode mod" and can speak to that. I just recieved the TJ's today. After that first hour they still sound more detailed, upfront but somehow still sweeter than the stock Valve Arts. Need some more break-in but I'm sure I'm going to miss that blue glow.

Voltsecond, as you will see, has other Paramour mods and the Bottlehead Forum discuses everything from iron and choke upgrades to simply putting a cap on the mains line switch.

Spend a little money, have a boatload of fun.

Re: People using Paramours... [message #35971 is a reply to message #35969] Mon, 15 April 2002 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Hi Kevin,

I've tried two mods from stock with my 'Mours to drive my Theater 4's. The first was to switch the primary of the output transformer to the .625watt tap from the stock 1.25w tap. This seemed to smooth the high end a bit and add a bit of umph to the bass. The second mod was VoltSecond's Cathode Mod (the other way to parafeed) and this has had more noticable change to the sound. The top end is sweeter and less rough, the midrange is more detailed and the bass is definitely moe extended and punchy with very good detail/texture. Unfortunately, I haven't had much chance to really break in this mod so I somewhat hesitate to gush so loudly, but the distinctly audible nature of the change makes me want to feel that all is good. I'll post more later: probably on the Bottlehead Forum.
Next I plan on adding a second pair of stock output transformers after I let the Cathode Mod break in a bit.

G.

See the thread:

Thanks guys. [message #35972 is a reply to message #35969] Mon, 15 April 2002 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I was expecting to hear from the two of you. Garland, I had actually already read your note about the cathode mod. That's what got me to thinking about posting the question. I'll probably wait to do anything until after I get my preamp put together. Just wanted to know what to look into in advance.

Kevin

Extensive list of Paramour mods [message #36038 is a reply to message #35969] Fri, 19 April 2002 07:21 Go to previous message
J Harris is currently offline  J Harris
Esquire
Man, I have really been around the block with these babies!

Here's a list of my mods in the order installed. Tube rolling is in a separate list below.

1. VS Hum & Noise Reduction V.1 (filament snubber). (I took this out later, since subsequent mods reduced noise to inaudible anyway.)

2. High Voltage Snubber. Reduced noise.

3. Upgraded plate choke to Magnequest BCP-15 and moved old choke over to filter duty. Clarity and solidity greatly improved.

4. C4S board. Essential -- bass is much tighter and cleaner. Plus you get slightly higher gain. This was a huge noise reducer as well.

5. Upgraded power transformer to Magnequest TFA-2004 Nickel. Brought the bass up to solid-state tightness and authority.

6. Installed toggle switches between 4-ohm and 8-ohm taps. I needed this when I was experimenting with different speakers, and have since bypassed them.

7. Removed 12AT7 sockets and rewired driver socket to accept 76s. The result was a softer, warmer sound that I now realize was compensating for harshness in my speakers of the time. Since I got my 4 Pi's, I've switched back to 12AT7s.

8. Cathode parafeed mod. Greater transparency throughout the spectrum.

9. Upgraded coupling cap to Auricap 4uf. Mids and highs are much sweeter and more accurate.

Tube rolling:

2A3: Started with the stock Valve Arts, switched over to Sovteks (didn't like them at all), vintage RCA biplates (wonderful) and finally TJ 300B 2.5V meshies (best of all).

12AT7: My stock tubes were NOS GE's (don't know which year or kind). Switched to Brimar blackplates from Ebay that turned out to be fakes (and didn't sound so great), then GE 6201 5-stars (best high end) and finally Sylvania Gold Pin 6201s (best all around performers).

76: When I had 76s instead of 12AT7s I experimented with a bunch of NOS Sylvanias from different sources. They all sounded identical so far as I could tell.

Hope this helps.
Patrick

Previous Topic: 14ga solid copper wire? (for Wayne)
Next Topic: Three way speakers.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 05 19:56:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout