Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Theater 4 Pi one channel complete
Theater 4 Pi one channel complete [message #35921] Thu, 11 April 2002 07:45 Go to next message
TOttman2 is currently offline  TOttman2
Chancellor
Here's the saga...

I completed one Theater 4 Pi enough to give it a test. I found some old multi-stranded 12 guage speaker wire, spliced it to some lamp cord so that I could connect it to the spring connects on an old SS Sherwood receiver connected to a budget Sony CD player in my basement. I connected the other end to the Pi 4 speaker terminal and gave it a listen... I was greatly underwhelmed, i.e. very disappointed. Took my doggie daughter Samantha for a walk and thought about it. Got back and replaced the 12 guage speaker wire with a $50 monster cable. Sounded great ! Since I had used the same 12 guage wire inside the cabinet, I went and replaced that with 18 guage teflon coated solid core wire from Welbornelabs (the only other wire I had) and put the crossover (the recommended Eminance one) temporarily outside the cabinet to make it easier to make and test changes. Now it seemed to sound ever better and seemed to be more efficient too. Listened for awhile (Dick Hyman, Swing is Here; Jimmy Smith - Dot Comm Blues) and decided to add the .47mf in parallel with an 8 ohm resister in series with the tweeter to tone down the treble. Sounded better yet.

What a full and exciting sound ! and this is only one channel! can't wait to complete the other one. I've also got the 20mf cap and the 8 ohm 100 watt resistor on order from Partsexpress to add to the woofer crossover.

What great fun !

Thanks Wayne.

Tom

Re: Theater 4 Pi one channel complete [message #35924 is a reply to message #35921] Thu, 11 April 2002 11:20 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for the update. You've already realized this, but for everyone else: If you listen to the speakers without the tweeter cable assemblies containing R1, R2 and C1, the speakers sound very, very bad. The compensation cable assembly isn't optional - it's mandatory - without it, the midrange is extremely over-represented and there is no top-octave sparkle at all.

Previous Topic: Active highpass filter
Next Topic: Module Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 01:51:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout