Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Need advice...and plans
Need advice...and plans [message #35905] Wed, 10 April 2002 07:44 Go to next message
Firefli is currently offline  Firefli
Esquire
I am reading that the thermionic series is better for tube amps, but I see alot of people using 300B SE amps to drive Theater 4s.

I have a pair of home made 300B amps and want a matching pair of home made speakers. I have room for either the Theater 4 or the Thermionic 3. So which would be better for my purposes?

Others seem to have no problems driving the Theater 4s with 8 watts of 300B power - would this be a good route to go? If so could I have plans for the Theater 4s? (or the Thermionic 3s? or both?)

On a side note - The Pi speakers seem to be defying the "rule" in speaker design that a huge driver cant reproduce midranges correctly, and sound ponderous and slow. However I hear nobody complaining about this problem, and hear only superlatives about midrange and speed. So how do the Pis pull off using a 15" woofer and a Horn and still sound fast while the B&W N801 with its huge 15" woofer is the slowest sounding speaker I have ever heard - even with a half kilowatt amp driving it?

thanks for any help!

My System and DIY Projects page

Re: Need advice...and plans [message #35910 is a reply to message #35905] Wed, 10 April 2002 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
My Theater 4's are driven quite well by my Paramour 3.5W 2A3 amps. And the sound is anything but plodding! Listening to "Duke Ellington at Newport" the other day was a hugely dynamic and properly paced experience! -Almost as if you were there...!

G.

Send me an E-Mail; I'll reply with plans. [message #35913 is a reply to message #35905] Wed, 10 April 2002 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Either the Theater Series four π or the Thermionic three π speakers would be excellent choices. Theater four π speakers sound better to me in corners or up against a wall, and Thermionics sound better when pulled away from the walls a little bit. You'll have no problem driving either model with 8 watts.

Re: Need advice...and plans [message #35919 is a reply to message #35905] Thu, 11 April 2002 05:03 Go to previous message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
I'm also using Theater 4s with only 3.5 watts from Paramours. Though you won't hit dance club levels, your 8 watts will be plenty.

Kevin

Previous Topic: oris horn with Pi speaker
Next Topic: Active highpass filter
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 12:09:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers