Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dayton Crossover
Dayton Crossover [message #35853] Sun, 07 April 2002 10:17 Go to next message
KevinP is currently offline  KevinP
Chancellor
I thought I'd also point this fellow out. I havn't read through all your compression tweeter compensation notes but I thought these pose an interesting option.

PE# 260-160

Has the same 12db low pass & 18db high pass characteristics as the Eminence pxb with a built in L-Pad for the tweeter attenuation. I'd be inclined to replace the cheap pot with a fixed resistor once it was dialed in but might be a nice all in one solution.

Any comments Wayne?

hmm [message #35855 is a reply to message #35853] Sun, 07 April 2002 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
Not a bad deal. Heck almost exactly the like Eminence cabinet ready ones, but cheaper :-).

Notice, Dayton uses air core inductors, didn't eminence use those little iron core ones?

Seems like a good product.

Still have to add the high freq compensation and replace the POT with a fixed resistor.

Compensation components require specific R1 and R2 instead of an L-Pad [message #35858 is a reply to message #35853] Sun, 07 April 2002 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The crossover filter sections would probably be fine, but the L-Pad isn't. The ratios of R1 and R2 provide specific damping for the filter that gives the response curve we're looking for when we use compression horn tweeters, and using an L-Pad doesn't allow for this.

Response curve of the crossover's tweeter circuit

The response curve shown above is characteristic of the tweeter circuit in all π Speakers using a compression horn tweeter in a two-way configuration.

Using the values shown on the crossover chart distributed with each of the crossover schematics, midrange attenuation values of 6dB to 21dB are given. In each case, the response from the crossover frequency up for the first couple octaves is flat, with 6dB/octave augmentation above that. This response curve is required to compensate for the tweeter. So the moral of the story is that the R1/R2/C1 compensation components are carefully chosen to provide a curve that exactly conjugates the compression driver's power response.

That's why I suggest that L-Pad's not be used, and that the values shown on the crossover document be used instead.

Re: Compensation components require specific R1 and R2 instead of an L-Pad [message #35879 is a reply to message #35858] Mon, 08 April 2002 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KevinP is currently offline  KevinP
Chancellor
I suppose if you want to try and active crossover you would just leave the compensation network in place?

Any thoughts on using an active crossover with 4th order slopes?

Active crossovers [message #35881 is a reply to message #35879] Mon, 08 April 2002 19:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Compensation components R1, R2 and C1 don't work independently. Every component in the passive crossover (including the drivers themselves) interact to produce the overall response curve. When implementing an active crossover, it is best to provide tweeter EQ at the preamp level.

Previous Topic: PSD2002 Horn
Next Topic: Review of speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:47:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout