Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » HUGE PROBLEMS!
HUGE PROBLEMS! [message #35865] Mon, 08 April 2002 10:13 Go to next message
earwax is currently offline  earwax
Esquire
I have my Sony Receiver hooked into my computer using the headphone jack, and then turning it into a pair of RCA cables. Obviously, this is not the ideal way to have it set up, but anyhow, I get a large buzzing noise when I use the receiver with the computer. Any suggestions how I can reduce the noise? THANKS!
Re: HUGE PROBLEMS! [message #35867 is a reply to message #35865] Mon, 08 April 2002 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
From the CD drive or sound card??
Ground loop and impedance mismatch [message #35869 is a reply to message #35865] Mon, 08 April 2002 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You have an impedance mismatch and probably a ground loop problem too. I would recommend that you connect your receiver's preamp output to your computer, and connect the computer and receiver power into the same source of house current, i.e. plug them into the same wall socket.

Re: HUGE PROBLEMS! [message #35870 is a reply to message #35867] Mon, 08 April 2002 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
soundcard
Re: Ground loop and impedance mismatch [message #35871 is a reply to message #35869] Mon, 08 April 2002 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
putting them into the same outlet isnt really possible, because they are on opposite sides of the room. How would I get rid of the loop?
not a problem usually [message #35872 is a reply to message #35870] Mon, 08 April 2002 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
when using short interconnects. Headphone jack what??? Get a "mini stereo to rca jack adapter" at rat shack, and insert it into the line output of your sound card. I use IC's with directional grounds, the arrow goes in the direction of signal flow, connect the PC line out to an Aux input on the Sony. My HK385i receiver tape out is also fed back into the PC's line inputs for dubbing Vinyl to CD.
How long are your IC's? Would an extension cord to get the Sony and PC on the same outlet be too difficult(if they are in the same room, they probably are on the same circuit already)? Are you sure the noise is not being picked up in the long IC's, vs. being generated by a gnd loop? As Wayne mentioned...IMPEDANCE MISMATCH is very likely going from a headphone jack out into a preamp input. Sam
Re: Ground loop and impedance mismatch [message #35874 is a reply to message #35871] Mon, 08 April 2002 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If there is a ground loop then the only way top solve your problem is to isolate the systems. Generally, the ground must be at the same potential, i.e. very little resistance between all ground reference points, or the two systems should be isolated. Isolation requires something like an opto-isolator or a transformer.

But since your setup is sort of a "get you by for now" solution, it really doesn't merit any real intensive work trying to solve. Put your energies into finding a way to get a better preamp connection method.

Re: HUGE PROBLEMS! [message #35877 is a reply to message #35865] Mon, 08 April 2002 17:24 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
If your Sony is hooked to your TV for audio or surround. Try and unscrew your CATV connection and see what happens.
I'm always fighting a ground loop from my cable with the computer.

bmar

Previous Topic: Eminence beta 15
Next Topic: Plans for 4Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 21:15:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers