Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Pix are up!
Pi Pix are up! [message #35833] Fri, 05 April 2002 22:04 Go to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
A cheesy rush job of a page, but it gets the job done.

Thomas

Touché! Another excellent pair of four π speakers! [message #35834 is a reply to message #35833] Sat, 06 April 2002 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Thanks for posting these excellent photos! Wow! Just spectacular! Good job on the braces too; They look professional and sturdy.

By the way, I got your E-Mail, and your π logo decals are in the mail.

Re: Pi Pix are up! [message #35835 is a reply to message #35833] Sat, 06 April 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Also very nice!! I particularly like how both your's and Trancemitr's colors work so well in your rooms! Beautiful! I love the blond against the blue! BTW, what horn did you use?

G.

horns [message #35836 is a reply to message #35835] Sat, 06 April 2002 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Garland,

Thanks, That horn is a clone of the JBL 2370 flat front bi-radial, made by P Audio. I really wanted a pair of the JBL's but that cost almost as much as the Pi's.(I still have a set of CH-3's Paid for and in the mail somewhere, oh well)

Thomas

Re: Touché! Another excellent pair of four π speakers! [message #35837 is a reply to message #35834] Sat, 06 April 2002 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the kind words, the logos and the great speakers too!
Since you inquired about what I was running these with I added a system description to my little page.

Cheers,
Thomas

Re: Pi Pix are up! [message #35840 is a reply to message #35833] Sat, 06 April 2002 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Very nice job, Thomas. That's some serious bracing. I didn't even think to do anything like that. What are the dimensions of that horn? It looks quite a bit larger than the CH-3.

Kevin

PERFECT AMP CHOICE [message #35841 is a reply to message #35833] Sat, 06 April 2002 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
for these speakers, ToFo. I have the 535, 545, and 555 amps in use. Best overall of these stablemates is the 100 watt rated 545. I think about 100 watt capability results in a low enough output z for good damping, and enough power for realistic dynamics. 60 watts is plenty, don't get me wrong. But 100 is NICE. The 200wpc 555 is running lately, with the preamp at about 5% from full CCW. But when you feel like rocking, crank the dial to 12 oclock for a spell...Sam

the 5400 amp uses mosfets, right? a lot of people prefer them to the bipolars in mine.

Re: Pi Pix are up! [message #35842 is a reply to message #35840] Sat, 06 April 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Kevin,

Thanks, The horn does look big, the flange is really big, but the actual mouth aperture is about 15" x 4.5", overall is 17.5" x 7".
It is a replica of the JBL horn that Wayne has mentioned. I think it goes on premium stage, but I do not know. It is a P Audio(taiwan knock off). I wanted an american horn but JBL is too much $ and My CH-3 (which are paid for) are still not here. The comp circuit is perfect with these. They measure better than my acoustats and Dynaudio tweeters (and play a little louder, HA!).

Hey! I am getting it right, That you sprayed your boxes?(rustoleum) They look creamy. You are a better man with a can than I.

Also, I am using SS with mine, I want to to bottlehead or something to see whats up, but like you, I am keeping some big power in my rack for The blast factor. Infact, electronica sounds about right. I put in Plaid or Boards of Canada and youd swear your in the best sounding club you have ever dreamed of. I added a system description to my page if youd like to know what makes it thump. (not much really)

Thomas

Re: PERFECT AMP CHOICE [message #35844 is a reply to message #35841] Sat, 06 April 2002 08:54 Go to previous message
Master
Sam,

I think so too, I was thinking of getting rid of them when I was married to my last speakers, but the match with the Pi,s is fantastic. As for the Bi-polar versus MOSFET issue, I have sold a lot of these. Adcom does their homework and is real particular about their first gain stage. If I understand it right, this is where the magic is. The output is important too, but they sound very similar in the Adcoms. Adcoms rep. said that the older amps were a little dry, the new a little warm. I tend to agree at low volume, but can't say I hear enough difference at anywhere above talkover volume to say that there is a difference. All of this happened over a long time in different rooms, w/ differnt gear. Some say they don't like the new ones, I think they are all great values. ...grain of salt, FWIW...

Thomas

Previous Topic: Completed my Theater 4s! (long)
Next Topic: four π-18 bass reflex
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 00:42:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout