Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Completed my Theater 4s! (long)
Completed my Theater 4s! (long) [message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 09:31 Go to next message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Well, I finally finished. I honestly don't want to say too much about them yet as I'm running a portable CD player as a source. I currently don't have a preamp, so my NAD changer (w/o volume control) isn't going to work. What I can say is that I'm very pleased with the results. I'm running them with Paramours, and it'll definitely go loud enough for listening sessions. If I decide to throw a party (unlikely) I've always got the 100 watt receiver upstairs. From what little I've heard so far it sounds like the Paramours are going to mate quite well.
I'd never built speakers before, and it's really only my second wood-working project, so I didn't know all what this would entail. Heck, I'd never even used a router before. Sufficed to say, it took me a while, and snaffoos abounded. I did learn a few things: 1) Yes, it would have been far easier to veneer. I used quite a bit of wood filler, and it's certainly a good thing I got the sander I wanted for my birthday. 2) Cutting MDF in your garage and leaving the sawdust on your wife's car for her to find in the morning is a no-no. 3) You can get away with using a circular saw and a straight edge instead of a table saw, but it takes some patience. 4) It's far easier to wipe up wet glue than sand off dried glue.
I'd really like to thank Wayne for taking the time answer all of asinine questions. You're quite a guy.
Anyway, check out the link, and please let me know what you think. Feel free to ask any questions; I love talking about these things!

Kevin

http://members.cox.net/trancemit/

Re: Completed my Theater 4s! (long) [message #35820 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
great job kevin! i'm sure you are justifiably proud of these babies. i like the moustache look of the front baffle, kinda reminds me of Till.E.

cheers,
george

tried out my first router at the kitchen table [message #35822 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
and got one of those "do it again and you're on the curb" looks that only a married guy would understand. Then my sander was banned from the sun room/porch. My domain is smaller now... I rule the living room, shop and garage still, she parks outside so the KZ-1000 will be comfy beside my truck and table saw. Married dudes should carry foam earplugs at all times :) Sam
I knew you had to paint mdf, BUT WOW! [message #35823 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
those look awesome. Great job. Sam
Great Job!!! [message #35827 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Love the colors; do you live in the southwest? And I haven't heard of the Basie preamp kit? -More details?

G.

All those hours I spent posing............... [message #35828 is a reply to message #35820] Fri, 05 April 2002 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
and only George picked up on the likeness!Hey George, howyadooin.

Dynamite paint job! I know exactly what you went through re: ' all that filler'. Truly gorgeous.
Pleased I could inspire Garland and now the Tranceman...........too late to copyright the double thick front so come on, everybody. You too, Erik from Holland

Re: Very cool Looking [message #35829 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 17:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
I like the paint scheme. Two tone makes it great.
I just ordered a Basie preamp. Should have it next week. from DIYcable.com. I have heard great things about the forplay but Basie sounded good to my ears and deliver is a few days.

Bill

Wow! Stunning! [message #35831 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Those really do look nice!!!

I tried to look at your site all day, but kept getting the page without images. I wonder if your site is getting "slammed" with people looking at your webpages and not able to keep up. But just now I went back and - Wow! - What a sight to behold!

If anyone else has trouble viewing Kevin's site, I encourage you to keep trying. Absolutely stunning!

I've been really impressed with the DIY efforts of so many of you; This is another excellent example of superior quality. I'd sooooo much rather have a pair of speakers like these than anything I could buy in the stores, regardless of the cost! Each different style gives uniqueness to a common theme, just like the ways people customize their Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Yow!! [message #35832 is a reply to message #35819] Fri, 05 April 2002 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
Really Sharp! Nice job Kevin.

Between you and Garland I almost hesitate to post mine. (but here goes)

Thomas

Re: Great Job!!! [message #35838 is a reply to message #35827] Sat, 06 April 2002 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
trancemitr is currently offline  trancemitr
Viscount
Garland,

I actually live in Omaha, NE, but if you make it out this way you're welcome to come see them. You can check out the Basie kit at diyhifisupply.com. They're an AA sponsor. It looks a lot more "finished" than the Foreplay, and it goes about things a bit differently... so I've read. Mine's on the way from Hong Kong, but someone else is now the American distributor. I think it's DIYCable.com. Anyway, I can't wait.

Kevin

Previous Topic: Musical Fidelity MC-2
Next Topic: Pi Pix are up!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 14:20:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers