Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Enclosure tuning questions
Enclosure tuning questions [message #35812] Fri, 05 April 2002 05:45 Go to next message
JLapaire is currently offline  JLapaire
Master
I have two pairs of 12" Daytons (Qts=.37 Qd=2.7 Fs=28 Vas=5.11 cu ft) that I'd like to put in enclosures and I've been noodling around with BoxPlot and PIAlign to figure out how to get the most out of them in the smallest boxes. If I'm understanding it corectly, PIAlign gives me a volume of about half of BoxPlots, with a longer port, for a given F3. I've tried the drivers singly and with Vas/2 for isobarik coupling and find that the ratio stays roughly the same. Smaller box, tuned lower?
Also, will 2 drivers in isobarik give the same "gain" as two drivers side by side on the same baffle?

Thanks for the help
John

Re: Enclosure tuning questions [message #35813 is a reply to message #35812] Fri, 05 April 2002 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey,

Tuning a box lower while making it smaller can help extend the low end a little more, but in the end you always get less low frequency extension. The only thing that differs it from a high tuned ported box is there is no response peak and the response rolls off shallow down to Fb, where it then rolls off.

And the answer is no, running two drivers isobarik will not give you any effeciency increase.

If you are planning on running your woofers isobarik on any conventional Pi speakers, they won't work unless you shrink the box volume appropriately and thus have an extremely long port.

Also, it's not a great idea for Pi speakers because the woofer is always called upon to produce the lower midrange band. This is not good for isobarik setups, and clamshell in particular.

Adam

Re: Enclosure tuning questions [message #35814 is a reply to message #35813] Fri, 05 April 2002 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
"The only thing that differs it from a high tuned ported box is there is no response peak and the response rolls off shallow down to Fb, where it then rolls off."

Is this the PIAlign scheme? The gradual roll off to a lower Fb?

You responded fast, you must be right there.

Thanks,
John

Re: Enclosure tuning questions [message #35815 is a reply to message #35814] Fri, 05 April 2002 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Yes it is.

If you simulate PiAlign data in a box plot program, you'll get an early f3 around 80-90 Hz (depending on the driver of course, I'm talking for a typical Pro 15" such as the omega) with a shallow rolloff of about 5-6 db/octave to an Fb around 35 Hz.

Adam

Thanks, sounds like a good trade-off. (nt) [message #35816 is a reply to message #35815] Fri, 05 April 2002 08:05 Go to previous message
Master
Previous Topic: Erik from Holland - do you play in band?
Next Topic: Tweeter questions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 06:22:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout