Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Review of speakers?
Review of speakers? [message #35799] Thu, 04 April 2002 05:28 Go to next message
Nashvilletitans is currently offline  Nashvilletitans
Chancellor
Hi, I'm very interested in building some PI's (I think).
Would really like to see some reviews regarding imaging and soundstage. I have never had horns before and and wanting to try some due to their high effiency rating (going to be using tube amps in the near future). Also I was suggested to try the Theater4. Do you have to buy the complete kit from PI, or can you just get the detailed plans and build your own cabinets? Thanks for any help on this.
John
Re: Review of speakers? [message #35807 is a reply to message #35799] Thu, 04 April 2002 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ToFo is currently offline  ToFo
Master
John,

I just asked Wayne for plans. I had a local shop build my box shells. I did the finish, bracing, damping and wiring myself. Parts Express carries almost everything. Image Communications has killer prices on Eminence drivers from what I hear.

I have been floored by my Theater 4Pi's. I am getting imaging and detail that I didn't think a monster two way in a big box could never deliver. I can see now that a lot of the things audiophiles believe to generally be truths about loudspeaker design are just wrong. They are fast, huge cone or not. The horns are detailed and NOT harsh sounding. Wide cabinets do not guarantee the sound will seem to come from them. You do not need a sub. Vocal intelligibility is fantastic. A lot of the speakers that I have owned have had an effect of steering my playing habits because of what they will play well. Pi's have not let me down. StereoLab, Beethoven, Ramones, Count Basie, Air, Diana Krall, Johnny Cash, Tool, Steely Dan, College FM stations, Movies, I have listened and listened to CD's Vinyl, and DVD whenever I can and I want more. My ears are happy again!! I was thinking about selling my system and upgrading everything, I felt I was missing something. The Pi's have changed all of that. I will still probably build some bottlehead stuff but I am keeping the big amps for boogie sessions, I love this.

I am no well heeled audio reviewer, but I was the operations manager for one of the south easts succesfull audio retailers. I routinely set up the demo rooms in the store. Conrad Johnson, Martin Logan, Krell, Monitor Audio, Energy, California Audio Labs, Acoustat, Magnaplanar, and Unity Audio, are all brands I am intimately familiar with. I have heard a lot, I have heard a lot of it sound very bad!

I will be putting up a web site on my Pi experience and will likely include a review and pictures. I will post to the forum when it is done. With any luck I will be done in time for it to do you some good.

Thomas.

Re: Review of speakers? [message #35882 is a reply to message #35807] Mon, 08 April 2002 20:06 Go to previous message
Nashvilletitans is currently offline  Nashvilletitans
Chancellor
Thanks Thomas,
You reply was exactly what i was hoping to hear. I reckon I'll get a post out to request a set of plans, and start speaker shopping. Looking forward to seeing your website when completed. Thanks again for your response.
John
Previous Topic: Dayton Crossover
Next Topic: L-pad on LF driver
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 16 00:17:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers