Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » kewpee burgers & never enough beer
kewpee burgers & never enough beer [message #35733] Sat, 30 March 2002 18:30 Go to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
whew!!! what a blast i had, from the moment i walked into the wingate with my buddy greg the hospitality and music never stopped. baker greets me with a cart of beer and before i can take off my jacket a group of us are in his room listening to his jbl's with his $8.00 amp. the best sound i've heard for under a grand. anyway's mike's a bit tired so we unload the pi's from my truck and continue on till 3 in the morning in my room. hey, you chicago horn guy's are cool and welcome anytime. oh, sorry for waking you up at 3am mike, but we ran out of beer. after a good but short sleep we set up the pi's the in the theatre and boy was i impressed. wayne, you'll be getting e-mails for plans as many visitor's commented on the lush sound your puppies displayed, in fact many comment's i received were that they were one of the best sounding speakers at the show. i'll tell you, money does not guarantee good sound, which was evident in many rooms. i won't name rooms but let's just say "sputnik". tubes definitely ruled and it was fun swapping amp's in the theater. best looking horns go to bmar and they sound great too. salad bowls were evident and as cool as they look i did not here any performance gains. i've been to many audio shows and this one took the cake, organized by a pro and attended by people with a common goal this show rocked. mike, you gotta do it again. till, you are a character like no other and your stories at dinner kept me chuckling all night. mike, you never stop with your wry sense of humour. bmar, your wife thinks your a freak but hey we all are, and thanks for that 11am beer. it took the edge off. kevin from diy audio, it was a pleasure meeting you and i'm sorry for keeping you up all night. the chicago horn guys are all super people albeit a little eccentric but that's what keeps this going. bruce edgar, hats off to you( or is that hats on). the passion you display is evident in your product. it was a pleasure to meet one of the horn god's. chad, whatever you are ( i'm still trying to figure it out) it was great meeting you. where do you get the energy?
hats off to the gang from NorH who made the long journey across the world to be warmly accepted at the show. these are the best small speakers i've heard, also the best looking. i bought 3 pairs ( and i need them like i need another beer) only because 6 pairs wouldn't fit in the truck. i met many more people and want to extend a big thanks to all who attended and made this a success. mike, thanks again for a super job. i took lot's of pictures and once they are scanned i will upload them all. whew! what a blast!

cheers,

george

Re: kewpee burgers & never enough beer [message #35734 is a reply to message #35733] Sat, 30 March 2002 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for your impressions. I can tell you're still psyched! Sounds like it was a blast, I wish I could have been there. Maybe next year.

Four hours of sleep. [message #35738 is a reply to message #35733] Sun, 31 March 2002 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin P is currently offline  Kevin P
Esquire
Isn't enough for this old dog.

I just want you to know that I've priced the drivers and need to know the crossover details next. :) Also I'm concerned about amplfication. Can you give me the details of the beast you were using at the show? I think your speakers rocked and I'm a big believer in copying something that is well done instead of trying to blaze my own trail!

Re: kewpee burgers & never enough beer [message #35742 is a reply to message #35733] Sun, 31 March 2002 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
What do you want me to do with your CD player?
Re: kewpee burgers & never enough beer [message #35746 is a reply to message #35742] Sun, 31 March 2002 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hi mike, as i'm packing everything up the audience was listening to the classic audio t3's with my player, didn't have the heart to disconnect it. can you please ship it to:

george duemm
1120 the queensway
toronto, ontario
m8z-1p2

i'll send you the money for the freight.

Re: Four hours of sleep. [message #35747 is a reply to message #35738] Sun, 31 March 2002 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
hi kevin, that's more sleep than i got. regarding the x-over you can use a stock eminence pxb116 with compensation on the tweeter output ( that's what you heard at the show). on the positive wire going from the output of the x-over to the horn driver you insert a .47mf cap in parallel with a 47ohm 10w resistor. i think i paid 3 bucks for the parts. that's it. wayne also has custom x-overs available. the amp i used was a 25 watt per channel kr 18 with 300bxls output tubes. at home i use a rane ac22 electronic x-over with a 100 watt sand amp and a 15 watt tube amp. i've now got the extra power and the sweetness of the tubes. good luck on your project!

cheers,
george

Re: Four hours of sleep. [message #35748 is a reply to message #35738] Sun, 31 March 2002 17:53 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check your mail - I've sent you plans for Premium Stage Series four π Speakers, including the schematics for the crossover.

Previous Topic: Wow... great work Wayne.
Next Topic: Midwest Audiofest
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 03:46:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout