Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » My new speakers arrived today
My new speakers arrived today [message #35714] Wed, 27 March 2002 18:25 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Couldn't show up at Lima with the Pi's the way they were: no veneer, one still dried glue covered, CH-3's hanging by a thread, exposed crossovers and Zobels; yuck!
The flat cut maple veneer went on easy with 3M #77 adhesive.
I used Bmar's suggested button heads for the CH-3's with finishing washers I got at Depot and painted black: outstanding!
Afraid for the veneer with transporting to the show, I put 3 1/2" square pieces of 1X poplar in each bottom corner.
There won't be time for a finish to cure so I'll take them raw and hope no one sets a drink on them.
Put the Zobel's inside the cabinet but the crossovers stay out, for now.
I got a digital camera and will post pics as soon as I figure out where the ON button is.
Maybe it's the maple, maybe it's the squares on the bottom coupling them to the floor in a different way but the Pi's now sound more detailed, have more of the infamous "air" and are a little more forward with a wider and deeper soundstage. Not quite the same "live" character, though. Not sure which Pi I like better. This one's a little more "audiophile".You can still hear all of an orchestra and a small club like "Blues Alley" sounds like Blues Alley.

D Day arrives [message #35716 is a reply to message #35714] Wed, 27 March 2002 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Till, I've got a mission or two for you when you arrive in Lima. See me!! BTW, there are several places to play your system at; see me on that, too!
Re: My new speakers arrived today [message #35722 is a reply to message #35714] Thu, 28 March 2002 10:55 Go to previous message
TOttman2 is currently offline  TOttman2
Chancellor
Your post makes me very excited about how my new Pi 4's will sound.
How thick is your veneer ? Maybe the extra wall thickness removed or moved up some cabinet resonances. All I seem to find in Ct for veneer is veneered plywood. Where did you get your maple ? Or maybe I should use the plywood for extra wall strength, but my cabinets are already pretty heavy. Boy, I love the Pi 4's size though and the imposing look of the big 15" woofer... if only I had a bigger house !

Did you use the Wayne's suggested bracing ? I used a different scheme. I put 2 by 4's horizontally across the top and bottom of the woofer, added 2 by 3's across the back panel parallel with the 2 by 4's, then additional 2 by 3's on the side panels. So I have a box above and below the woofer that supports all 4 vertical panels. Sounds confusing, but it's really straight forward. For the top and bottom, I just added a 2 by 3 across the shortest dimension, front to back. Seems like it should be tighter... sure was/is more work.

Previous Topic: Wayne, did you get my re-mail???
Next Topic: "A Taste of Tubes"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 08:15:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout