Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What is the real purpose of Pi speakers
What is the real purpose of Pi speakers [message #35691] Wed, 27 March 2002 04:06 Go to next message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
I want to know if the Pi speaker line is a sort of living room speaker with PA components?

Do you use them for gigs, or for listning to your favorite music?

Seems to me there ment for PA usage, but then what is the use of expensive wood finishings?

I would like to learn more.

Thanks!

high performance two-ways for music [message #35692 is a reply to message #35691] Wed, 27 March 2002 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
Pi speakers are true high efficiency designs, most around the 100dB or better sensitivity. The compression drivers have "top octave compensation" to add HF extension. These speakers sound beautiful driven by 1 watt or 100 watts, and provide a high dollar/performance ratio to the builder. Nice finishes indicate "pride of ownership" and an effort towards "excellence" that is inherant in the personalities of many of the participants here. You can't put a price tag on the personal satisfaction that results from putting your sweat(and blood)into a project such as my 4 Pi Pro's...compact powerhouses that can sing articulatly at 75 dB, or thunder well into the 110 dB average SPL region on a continuous basis when entertaining "the neighbors".
I would direct you to Wayne's Pi website...read the "white paper" for background, then the xover.doc for the minute details. The only "PA" I know around here is "professional audio", based upon sound engineering principles. Regards, Sam
Re: high performance two-ways for music [message #35693 is a reply to message #35692] Wed, 27 March 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Erik from Holland is currently offline  Erik from Holland
Baron
Hi Sam,

Thanks for your quick reaction

PA stands for "public adress", what means that speakers are used for amplifying music for large crowds.

So, are PI speakers ment for usage in PA?

I`m building a new set at the moment, and from my old subs i have 2 kappa lf`s who need to get a new purpose.
Do you maybe have some sugestions?

Thanks, Erik

To faithfully transform the electrical representation of sound back into an acoustic signal [message #35706 is a reply to message #35691] Wed, 27 March 2002 14:27 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

All models of π Speakers are intended for home use, except the folded horns, which are suitable for large scale sound production. In home listening environments, we want a system with good frequency response, low distortion and wide dispersion, particularly in the horizontal plane. When there is only one or two speakers in the listening room, you need each individual speaker to provide as much coverage as possible, so they need to be units capable of providing high dispersion throughout the entire audio bandwidth. But the dispersion should be controlled so that reflections are minimized.

Larger environments require much greater energies, particularly in the lowest octaves. So sound production in medium and large halls requires subwoofer systems, and I highly recommend subs for high-performance implementations. Horn dispersion angles are generally narrower in prosound applications, because improved directivity control makes array performance better. Since several horns are usually required, arrayability is a concern. I also recommend active crossovers for prosound systems because they are configurable, and you can do some things with them that you wouldn't do passively.

For large sound reinforcement, it is recommended that each speaker be highly directional, and its pattern focused into a specifically localized target area. I would use very highly directional three-way, four-way and even five-way systems with multi-amplification for such an application. For large-scale sound production, you want extremely directional speakers because several will be required and you want to minimize overlap as much as possible.

So as you can see, the line of speakers shown on the web site are not really suitable for so-called "PA use," except in very small environments. But really - other than the issues of dispersion vs. localization - a good speaker is a good speaker. To use the term "PA speaker" as some sort of descriptive measure of quality isn't really appropriate. It makes no sense to describe a system as a "PA speaker," whether trying to boast about high-level output or by being derogatory and implying it lacks linearity or is distorted.

The standard model π Speaker systems shown on the website are all designed to handle quite a bit of power and they are also pretty efficient, so their dynamic range is quite high. They are not purpose-designed for flea-powered amplifiers, nor are they designed for brute-force 1000 watt sand amps, but rather they are equally well suited for either implementation. Simply said, π Speakers are designed to perform as best as can be afforded with the components chosen.

We've got everything here from systems containing only fifty dollars worth of parts to those with several thousand dollars worth of parts. Whatever you build, if you're using my plans, you're going to get an opimal design that extracts every bit of performance possible. They are entirely linear, and don't sacrifice linearity for efficiency, as the vast majority of horns and PA designs do. So the bottom line is that you'll get what you pay for here - Nothing more but certainly nothing less.

And as to active vs. passive crossovers, I designed a very, very good passsive network because most people use passive crossovers in their speakers. Most people buy or build loudspeakers and connect them to a good amp and listen to the system. There is a large minority of active crossover and multi-amp users here, and I suppoort them with this choice. But I find that a loudspeaker design for the home that doesn't include a good passive crossover is a design that isn't finished yet. I would say that a great deal of the functionality has not been included.

If my guys want to run active crossovers and bi-amp - Fine. In fact, super. But that just means that they disconnect the passive network I've designed for them and hook up their amplifiers directly to the speaker motors. Then we have a whole different issue to consider: What is the quality of the active crossover unit? Because if it is used with a two-way system having compression horn tweeters, the filter's response must look exactly like the ones shown in my crossover document or system performance will suffer. Hopefully, the active design is configurable to accomodate, or maybe the user is lucky enough to have purchased (or smart enough to have built) an active unit that was purpose designed for their specific implementation.

Previous Topic: Where art thou Woodworker
Next Topic: My point of view, if interesting.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 02:45:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio