Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » gettin ready for lima
Re: gettin ready for lima [message #35606 is a reply to message #35605] Wed, 20 March 2002 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You might want to find a really good local cabinetmaker and have 'em built there. I'd love to do 'em for you but they're just over the size limit and would have to be palletized and trucked. Lots of people buy Theater Series four π Speakers from me, and they're just over the limit too. So I'd be happy to build the cabinets for you, but shipping is pretty expensive.
Re: gettin ready for lima - fun experiments! [message #35607 is a reply to message #35594] Wed, 20 March 2002 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I sent your wood horns, JBL 2426 compression drivers, and some π crossovers. Do something while you're there - Just for fun. Remove the compensation circuits and just run the crossovers, stock. Listen to the difference. Also, take a good quality 10uF capacitor to use as a single capacitor first order network. Then, you might also try the top octave (tweeter) compensator after the 10uF single order (single capacitor only) crossover.

So try each of these as a demonstration of what they all sound like. You can compare all of these types of filters, and then you can also compare all of the passive variants with an active crossover too.

Here's the list of some of the things you might want to evaluate:

1. Simple first order (10uF cap in series with tweeter), only.

2. Stock Butterworth 2nd/3rd order network. Use the Eminence crossover, with no compensation.

3. First order with π compensation

4. Full π crossover

5. Bi-amped system

I think you'll find the results to be startling. In fact, I know you will. If you've never heard a compression horn without appropriate compensation, then you'll be quite startled actually.

Re: gettin ready for lima - fun experiments! [message #35608 is a reply to message #35607] Wed, 20 March 2002 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
You Bet!
This is going to be a good show. Lots of quality components and lots of good people. Mike Baker has done a great job turning this into a major event from an idea of a gathering. Lima will be common ground for everybody to unite no matter what system you may think sounds best. All the systems will sound good and we will have lots of fun testing, experimenting and just listening.
did someone say there was beer in that town?

Bill

:::mumbles while walking out of the room:::
guess i'll have to bring a good cd and a glass....

Re: NAD, sorry no tubes(nt) [message #35609 is a reply to message #35596] Wed, 20 March 2002 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
nt
Re: gettin ready for lima - fun experiments! [message #35614 is a reply to message #35608] Thu, 21 March 2002 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
Bill, make sure you let me (and others) know when you run the experiment above. i want to be in the room.
MBB
Crossover Demonstration - I'll send you several types to show [message #35619 is a reply to message #35608] Thu, 21 March 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've decided to assemble several sets of cable assemblies for you, and to Fed-X them to you just in case you guys want to do these demonstration-experiments. I've already sent you π crossovers with 10dB tweeter compensation cable assemblies but you really should have 12dB assemblies. I inadvertently sent you the 10dB versions because that's what is used in Theater Series four π Speakers - They have been so popular lately that I guess I have those "on the brain." But the ones you'll need are the 12dB versions, which are actually almost inaudibly different. Still, I'll send you a pair of 12dB and a pair of 14dB tweeter cable assemblies this weekend, just so you can see how each of them sound.

More importantly, I'll be sending some cables for the other parts of the demonstration, such as cables that have just a series cap, for a first order tweeter crossover, and those that include a series attenuator that makes the crossover peaking effects more pronounced. These two items will demonstrate peaking at the crossover frequency, just as is shown on pages 27 - 31 of my crossover document. I'll label each cable assembly, and I'll include the response graph of each. This will give everyone a chance to actually hear the effects, which are present even with the most simple networks, the first order single capacitor. And you will have no trouble identifying these effects - They are clearly audible.

I see response graphs of systems all the time with evidence of mal-formed networks. The easiest way to spot them is by seeing an anomoly near the crossover frequency. If it's a sharp spike downwards, it's probably due to cancellation at crossover, and is often the result of adjacent second orders or the like. But if it's a sharp peak upwards - often followed by another sharp dip before returning to the baseline - then it's usually evidence of crossover peaking. Even several thousand dollar compression drivers will suffer this kind of peak, if reactive circuits create that kind of signal being sent to them. And sadly, most simple crossovers generate it to one degree or another, and if not considered, the results are clearly audible and definitely measurable. It's exactly what a person should expect, when analyzing the response curve of the filter circuit involved.

So I'm sending the crossovers and cable assemblies and stuff for a demonstration. I'll label them all, and I'll send the response graphs shown from reactive circuit analysis using Spice. Then, you guys can hook 'em up, looking right at the graphs as you do. You'll notice the effects immediately - These kinds of 10dB anomolies are easy to hear. Three decibels is pretty subtle, but 10dB stands out pretty clearly. I think you'll find it interesting.

Re: Crossover Demonstration - I'll send you several types to show [message #35626 is a reply to message #35619] Thu, 21 March 2002 15:22 Go to previous message
Grand Master
OK, Great!
I forgot to tell you, The JBL 2226's I will be bringing are 4 Ohm.

Bill

Previous Topic: More four π photo's
Next Topic: placement of 4 Pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 02:19:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers