Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Might actually get to build 10 Pi's this summer!
Might actually get to build 10 Pi's this summer! [message #35541] Mon, 18 March 2002 09:28 Go to next message
darkstar is currently offline  darkstar
Esquire
Wayne,

Last year was fugly in a financial way, but this year is coming out a bit better and my friend is willing to start building a pair of 10 Pis. Unless everything goes in the crapper again, this might really happen this time. I am excited, it will be my first chance to hear these guys in the flesh, so to speak.

I noticed that JBL Pro has a 'tent sale' where a person can buy a pro audio piece of gear with the desired motors(such as 2226's) in it for half the price of buying single units. If you know about this, can you comment on the wisdom? Obviously there would be some de-installing work to be done to scavenge the parts.

Also, just wanted to let you know that I think Romy is a boob, and his manners are not acceptable in my book. I have told him so myself, in replies to his mudslinging posts. You yourself are remarkably unflappable, so I understand what extremes this thread drove you to. I think you behaved better than I would have, in the same situation.

I wish I were technical enough to critique your crossover document, but all I can do is say I've read it but don't understand it. My bad. I would hope to not need to understand it so much as to be able to tap into the expertise that created it in the first place.

But, having buttered you up like that, I gotta say, if you haven't heard horns driven by a good SET, then you are still a virgin, so to speak. This was a life-transforming event for me, whether they (the tube amps) are 'high distortion' compared to SS or not. There is surely something magic about tubes and horns. 'Nuff said.

r

Re: Might actually get to build 10 Pi's this summer! [message #35544 is a reply to message #35541] Mon, 18 March 2002 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'm glad to hear you'll be building some ten π Speakers soon! The JBL tent sale has been enormously popular here. You can get the parts you'll need there at a great price. There have been some super-great buys, and just about every one of the regulars have bought something from the tent sale, including me.
Good luck! [message #35547 is a reply to message #35541] Mon, 18 March 2002 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
As the proud owner of one nearly completed pair of ten pi's and a second pair under construction, I think you'll be really happy.

It's a basshorn so outdoors you need a lot of them to get the same bass response as an indoor environment, so I am building more :p

Adam

Re: Good luck! [message #35548 is a reply to message #35547] Mon, 18 March 2002 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
You mention bass response outdoors. it really is much different than indoors, and I use my system alot in both environs. Typically you'll pump alot more power into them to feel your getting the same subjective level, since you are missing room reinforcement. It is dramatic, sometimes. Generally a system that can hold its own outside is a pretty capable system. Nearly all mid size and up venues outside (over, say 4-500 people) use some pretty hefty subwoofers and feed em alot of power. You wouldn't be able to stand it indoors.
Re: Good luck! [message #35549 is a reply to message #35548] Mon, 18 March 2002 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
darkstar is currently offline  darkstar
Esquire
yeah, I think he was joking.

r

Where I'm coming from. [message #35550 is a reply to message #35549] Mon, 18 March 2002 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
No, I would guess he meant it. We get so used to hearing our speakers in an enclosed space; picture the kind of SPL you can get from a good car system; now imagine it outdoors..........it wouldn't "get it"...
It's hard to get the same effect from our systems outdoors, especially at any distance. That is why I appreciate systems that can put out considerable energy. The guys who like single driver systems, for example; I'm sure they can sound great. But my system can sound quite good indoors also; take them both outside and the single driver setup is lost..................That has always been an ideal of mine; the system that can go from parlor to yard party and DO IT ALL! Waynes stuff is exactly like that, which is why his followers don't shy away from a dogfight with their systems. Hey, John Wayne could be polite, but he could kick some butt when necessary too. This is where I will differ from some others in the AA forums; I want a system that can get the lead out now and then, and do it convincingly. That is why I like the horn/high efficiency/JBL driver crowd. I just don't give a damn about the wimpy stuff anymore when I know that our stuff can "portray the nuance" and still rock the house!
End of tonights sermon...........
Re: Where I'm coming from. [message #35551 is a reply to message #35550] Mon, 18 March 2002 19:02 Go to previous message
bmar is currently offline  bmar
Grand Master
i was really hoping for...

Previous Topic: i think i've found the subwoofer for my jbl 4655's
Next Topic: Sub placement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 00:06:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio