Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Sub placement
Sub placement [message #35535] Sun, 17 March 2002 13:40 Go to next message
Frode is currently offline  Frode
Baron
How important is placement of a subwoofer? I have limited space, and only two places to put the sub. Will integration with my Four Pi Pro be a problem when I'm not able to move the sub around in the room?
Re: Sub placement [message #35536 is a reply to message #35535] Sun, 17 March 2002 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sub placement is *extremely* important.

I have had some quite incredible subs through my room (in both sound quality and quantity) and with poor placement, it simply doesn't matter. You can get weak, nonexsistant, sloppy bass out of even the best of subs if you don't place them right.

I can't tell you how they will integrate with your 4 pi's because I don't know what your room setup is like. It depends on corner or wall placement, the location of the sub and the location of the listener.

The best way to do it is to place the sub in the spot where you will be listening from, and walk around the room until you find a spot where the bass sounds the best. Then put your sub there.

All depends on your room.

Adam

Re: Sub placement [message #35539 is a reply to message #35535] Mon, 18 March 2002 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Hamel is currently offline  Robert Hamel
Viscount
Hello

That's a tuff one. If you are limited with placement its a real crap shoot if the placement will be good or not. How are you 4Pi's placed and are the sub woofer placements in the same plane along the same wall??? How low are you crossing over?

You should crossover as low as possible. If the sub and mains are on the same wall then it should be much harder to hear the sub provided you cross low enough.

Can you have a friend lend you a sub to get an idea about the placement. If it's a bad spot in the room it won't matter what you put it there so that might save you some time and heart ache. Get yourself a good set-up CD that has sweeps for sub integration and borrow an SPL metter if you can. If you can get your friends or a dealer loaner to integrate well you should be fine.

Good Luck

More info [message #35542 is a reply to message #35535] Mon, 18 March 2002 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'll try to explain the situation: my room is L-shaped. I sit along the "bottom" wall, looking "up" into the L. The speakers are placed 5-6 ft from the rear wall( "top of the L"), and 1-1.5 ft from the sidewalls. The free spaces for sub(s) is along the sidewalls just behind the speakers. I've made a sketch, but I don't know how to post it. XO would be around 50Hz 18 or 24 dB/oct.
Re: More info [message #35545 is a reply to message #35542] Mon, 18 March 2002 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Well I think the best you could do would be to have a friend or dealer lend a sub to you. I am in a rectangular room and I used the placement spreadsheet on the SGTHT web sight. With a L things get a little tricky and you could not use that sheet to model the best placement for your subwoofers or speakers as an example. Well you have some room behind you speakers and you can adjust the depth and rear wall placement by a couple of feet If I understand you right. A foot can make all the diference. I would measure them out and try to keep everything in odd fractional increments of the room dimensions such as 1/9 or 2/7 so you don't excite the room modes as say 1/2 OR 1/4 will.

Good Luck

Re: More info [message #35552 is a reply to message #35545] Tue, 19 March 2002 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I'm going to borrow a subwoofer, but do you think it would be easier to integrate two subs than one?

Frode

Re: More info [message #35560 is a reply to message #35552] Tue, 19 March 2002 06:24 Go to previous message
Viscount
Hi Frode

I personally like stereo subs. I think they sound better than a mono sub. I have stereo subs and a dedicated LFE sub that I only use for HT. As far as integration well that is still hit or miss depending on location. Depending on the room it could be easy or a real pain in the butt. With my stereo subs the mains are stacked on top. The best main placement is what is dictating my sub placement. The settings for level and crossover are very different on the two subs and are dictated by the room placement. As long as your subs have level, phase, and crossover adjustment you should be fine. My HT sub is placed where it should be and because of this it has a smooth response curve it is easy for me to integrate this sub. Before I went for stereo subs I used the HT sub and had no problem with it working with 3 different sets of mains before I settled on the ones I have now. I will email you a couple of photos to show you how I am set-up. A picture is worth a thousand words. I would try to get subs with adjustable phase not just a switch. That saved my butt. Not a must but a good idea if you can. I was trying to phase full range mains a full range center and 3 subs and the adjustable phase was a life saver on the stereo subs. Well I am glad you will have a sub lent to you as that is the only way to really see how its going to go. Have fun!!

Regards Rob

Previous Topic: Might actually get to build 10 Pi's this summer!
Next Topic: Reflex loaded w bins
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jun 02 00:49:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout