Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » What is the right capacitor to use for small midrange
What is the right capacitor to use for small midrange [message #35489] Thu, 14 March 2002 09:58 Go to next message
Rudi is currently offline  Rudi
Chancellor
I've built a cabinet using an Eminence Beta 12inch 150 w rms,and
a Motorola piezo horn treble 12 inch x 5 inch 100w rms

Cos there is quite a big gap between the bass driver and the tweeter,Ive cut a hole for a 5 1/4 inch midrange driver,

But it is rated at 40w rms,8 ohms,87 db 1w/1m

I know passive crossovers for 300w rms are expensive,but the only
thing that needs the crossover is the midrange,So i know capacitors
for crossovers must be non-polarised,and at least 100v but i don't know what uf value to buy.I've heard between 1uf-10uf is fine for trebles, but is that the same for small midranges. If I got a 6.8uf cap for example would this be enough to stop the damaging bass signals from reaching the midrange driver?

Also Audio Grade Axial Polyproplene caps last longer than standard electrolitic ones.

I don't think thats gonna work. [message #35490 is a reply to message #35489] Thu, 14 March 2002 11:13 Go to previous message
dbeardsl is currently offline  dbeardsl
Master
The Beta 12 is about 99dB wihle your mid is 87dB... its not going to be nearly loud enough. Besisdes, that 12 goes up to 4k. the tweeter probably goes down that low.

If you really want a cheap midrange, check out parts express.
and get something more efficient.

If your tweeter really doesn't go down to 4k, maybe try the Beta 12 LT, it can reach 7 or 8k easy.

Previous Topic: Re: Anyone got any intresting designs for Omega 18"?
Next Topic: Am I blind?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 03 01:23:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout