Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » folded horn cabs for eminence 8's?
folded horn cabs for eminence 8's? [message #35368] Thu, 07 March 2002 22:22 Go to previous message
hotrod 502 is currently offline  hotrod 502
Esquire
Hi, great forum, this is Bill&Greg, we have a small sound co, 35000w qsc plx, (4) Mccauley ac588 with dual 6174's, (8) kilomax 15'S, (4) 2" mccauley horns, eventide orville, all the usual effects, eq, etc. Soundcraft studio 24ch, eurodesk 32ch, Yamaha M3000 48ch, it's all fun, --BUT--- I remember the days when you had to drop the bias on the Scott LK150 to get alittle more out of it, and had to keep your eyes on the 6550'S plates, (or 807, 6L6,) and your hand on the power trans, to know when you had to back off. My cornwalls were only rated 105 rms. (still gotem)-- Watts (output), were more precious than gold!--OR--when the 47 pent's came out? They blew 45 tri's away, gain and output, but sucked, distortion wise. The 45's are still here, 46's or 47's, no. Don't mean to ramble, especially on first post, just want to let people know I respect good design in a sound system, (hifi,pa,whatever), and forums like this are the best way to pool ideas, and help each other. I love tubes, they sound like heaven, I love mosfets, they kick ass! To the subject--- My question, I have 32 Beta 8's I was going to use as mid reinf/monitor wedges, was gonna package 4 in a row, inf. cab.(sealed) But, I could use some additional 80-120 hz kik. When I saw this forum, and the interesting posts about scoops, well you knoww-- These drivers have 2" vc, good travel,(xmax now), but the ratio of pwr/vc dia /cone dia, to me seems like I would be wasting them just using for midrange, or vocals. How about a horn cab, maybe rear loaded, using two or four of these? They are rated 150RMS, Iwould have a 300 or 600w cab, and still get the transient response of an 8" dvr. with 2" vc. Would like to keep these cabs about 45" hi, can I vary width to get proper horn volume to length ratio? I know I would have to EQ properly. I have the PI prog., but have not used. Thanks all, Bill

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: for seekers of the mighty CH3
Next Topic: Pix of my Theater 4 Pi's
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 01 16:26:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers