Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Types of distortion to avoid
Types of distortion to avoid [message #35307] Mon, 04 March 2002 13:58 Go to next message
Rudi is currently offline  Rudi
Chancellor
I never know why some guitar players like distortion effects,such as 'overdrive';In the long run it will damage the speaker.

anyway here are several types of distortion to avoid:

Many factors can contribute to distortion in the driver: cone behaviour,coil-end windings passing out of the main magnetic field at maximum excursion,uneven magnetic field distibution and non-linear
compliance of the cone suspension.

Other types such as doppler distortion,harmonic distortion,noise,
transient responce,clipping,intermodulation distortion.

Also what is the benefit of having a tweeter mounted inside the bass [co-axial]

Avoid all types of distortion! [message #35312 is a reply to message #35307] Mon, 04 March 2002 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You must be "pulling our legs" with that post! As much as possible, avoid all types of distortion!

Where loudspeakers are concerned, the only time I've seen people say certain types of distortion are acceptable are times when that same someone is trying to promote a pet project, probably one that produces more distortion than a competing product. Sometimes, they go so far as to say their product's distortion is euphonic, implying their speaker sounds better as a result of the distortion it makes. That's a cop-out, if you asked me. It seems to me that wherever you can reduce distortion in a loudspeaker, it is a good thing to do. That's why I like horns and drivers with shorting rings. Both are technologies that reduce distortion.

Rudi you crack me up....... [message #35324 is a reply to message #35307] Tue, 05 March 2002 16:32 Go to previous message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
LOL
Previous Topic: Wayne, comment on Delta lower mid-range?
Next Topic: Questions on dual 2226 woofer cabinets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 18:09:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout