Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Well, had an incident...
Well, had an incident... [message #35265] Thu, 28 February 2002 09:17 Go to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I was totally blasting my ten pi's today, and I suddenly noticed a huge cloud of smoke pouring out of the back of the left speaker. Looks like one of my temporary electrolytes (polarized, didn't have anything else) bit the dust. No damage, but don't have replacement poly caps, either.

Oh well. I'll order the proper capacitors soon.

Adam

are solen parts cheaper up north?(nt) [message #35266 is a reply to message #35265] Thu, 28 February 2002 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam P. is currently offline  Sam P.
Grand Master
nt
Let the smoke out, did you?!! [message #35268 is a reply to message #35265] Thu, 28 February 2002 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
It's pretty spectacular when an electrolytic capacitor blows. The electrolyte boils, building pressure in the can. When it's high enough, the can bursts, spraying electrolyte and bits of metal from the can everywhere. It kind of looks like confetti but the metal shrapnel can actually do some damage.
Re: are solen parts cheaper up north?(nt) [message #35271 is a reply to message #35266] Thu, 28 February 2002 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I doubt it. Solen's prices seem pretty expensive, but last time I checked was a good while ago.

http://www.solen.ca. You could look it up if you wanted. Might be a good idea actually, one american dollar goes a long way in canada right now.

Adam

Re: Let the smoke out, did you?!! [message #35272 is a reply to message #35268] Thu, 28 February 2002 15:42 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
lol, yeah I must say I was a bit less surprised then I thought I would be in such an event. I figured it would be one of the resistors, but twas not. Perhaps it is a sign...

Adam

Previous Topic: Eminence 12lt to ksn1188 steep crossover
Next Topic: aarrrgh! wife came home at lunch,
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 27 10:00:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers