Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » folded horns
folded horns [message #34967] Sun, 03 February 2002 17:15 Go to next message
mckenzie is currently offline  mckenzie
Esquire
Does anyone know where i can find design info for folded horns, especially advantages/disadvantages.

Thank you
Mckenzie

Re: folded horns [message #34968 is a reply to message #34967] Sun, 03 February 2002 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You've come to the right place! Find below a list of posts that contain information about folded horns in this forum.
Re: folded horns [message #34971 is a reply to message #34968] Sun, 03 February 2002 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mckenzie is currently offline  mckenzie
Esquire
thanks for the quck answer, i have a fair amount of experience with DIY speakers but i am in the process of educating myself about horns so alot of this is greek to me. What kind of effciency gains to horn loaded systems offer? Am I right in assuming that different types of horns offer different effciency gains? If that assumption is right what type offers what effciency gain?Sorry to be such a pain, and thanks for all the help

Mckenzie

Re: folded horns [message #34975 is a reply to message #34971] Mon, 04 February 2002 10:41 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Direct radiators generally operate in the 1% range, sometimes as high as 5% efficiency. Horns are in the 25% to 50% range, sometimes as high as 75% efficiency. The one main drawback is they are large, even if sometimes being acoustically small as in the case of basshorns. A truncated horn can suffer peaky response and reduced efficiency. So there are tradeoffs to consider, as in all things.
Previous Topic: Compression chamber remove or not
Next Topic: ports and grills
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 18:22:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout