Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » xover plan for 4648a-8, jbl 2345 with jbl 2426
xover plan for 4648a-8, jbl 2345 with jbl 2426 [message #34962] Sat, 02 February 2002 18:13 Go to next message
tdc is currently offline  tdc
Baron
The previous responses indicated that a pxb11 1k6 with the 10 mfd. cap removed does the bass end. The compensation network consists, I quess, of two resistors of some value in series on the pos side with a cap of some value between them bridging to the neg line???. If I on the right track could someone advise me and tell me what value to use for the resistors and cap. Thanks tdc
Crossover and compensation used with JBL 2226 and 2426 [message #34963 is a reply to message #34962] Sat, 02 February 2002 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The design philosophy of the Professional Series four π loudspeaker is directivity matching of the midwoofer and tweeter. The 2226 used as a direct radiator begins to become directional in the midrange and its pattern is as narrow as the tweeter horn above 1kHz. Acoustic output on-axis is emphasized as a result of the collapsing directivity and this is compensated by adding series inductance. The coil isn't used for crossover as much as it is for response shaping. At 1.6kHz, the tweeter is brought in, and midwoofer rolloff happens pretty rapidly above this point. So while the tweeter crossover is electrical, the woofer crossover is largely mechanico-acoustical.

The tweeter circuit is padded by a fixed voltage divider that provides a specific load to the crossover filter in front of it. The series portion of the voltage divider is bypassed with a capacitance which tends to give rising response to equalize the power response of the tweeter horn. The crossover load formed by the padding voltage divider is chosen so the circuit is slightly underdamped at the crossover point. What this does is to introduce a slight amount of peaking down low, just enough to make a flat portion in the response curve from crossover up a couple of octaves. Only after this point does the power response EQ start to take off. These are the two functions of the compensation network, and they are illustrated in detail in the crossover document on the π Speakers website.

Please write to me and include your E-Mail address, and I'll send you the π Speakers schematics and component charts.

Re: Crossover and compensation used with JBL 2226 and 2426 [message #34964 is a reply to message #34963] Sat, 02 February 2002 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I tried your e-mail but it did not go thru.This should work. Thanks tdc
Re: Crossover and compensation used with JBL 2226 and 2426 [message #34965 is a reply to message #34964] Sat, 02 February 2002 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I've sent the schematics and component charts to the address contained in your last post.
Re: Crossover and compensation used with JBL 2226 and 2426 [message #34966 is a reply to message #34965] Sun, 03 February 2002 15:09 Go to previous message
Baron
Many thanks. I'll start wiring. tdc
Previous Topic: Rough Week.
Next Topic: 10 pi as bass bin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 15:18:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio