Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » initial thoughts on my ten pi's...
initial thoughts on my ten pi's... [message #34732] Sun, 13 January 2002 15:48 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, my friend and I work for seven straight hours today *partially* assembling just *one* of my four theatre 10 pi's.

I finally have the entire enclosure screwed together (once I find any errors and such it will be reassembled with full bracing and plenty of glue).

The thing is absolutely monsterous. It's just huge. I clearly underestimated the size of such a speaker, but as long as it sounds good I'm not too worried. They also way soooo much... there's nearly a sheet and a half of MDF in each box, plus woofer and compression driver plus other bracing when finished.

Firstly, I'm really concerned about excursion. The smaller box and lower tuning has actually resulted in what seems to be less power handling then the conventional bass reflex boxes that I've built for these woofers before. With only 120 or so watts applied the woofer was moving quite a bit. It could be an error in the box volume or tuning but I'm not sure. I had to displace about a half a cubic foot of volume from the design using some books because the HF horn isn't in place yet. Also, I had to move the port out of the box somewhat because it was too long to properly fit. The system sounds kind of chesty and the lower mids seem to resonate all over the place.

However, having said that I'm not sure if it's valid. There is no bracing in the box and there are a lot of vibrations. The two reflectors of the horn are resonating like mad and probably hurting the system by muddy'ing up response. There is as of yet no crossover on the woofer, so any response peaks above the crossover point are coming through loud and clear. There's also no high frequency, which is surely putting emphasis on the short comings of the system. There's no padding or stuffing in the box to even up frequency response and dissipate some of the midrange from the woofer. The internal box volume is probably incorrect. To boot, my listening room is the worst ever, with stupid rattling paneling and a suspended ceiling. These puppies belong in huge rooms or wide open spaces.

My *primary* concern right now is the excursion. There is no way this woofer will handle even close to 400 watts at present excursion, which is dissapointing because in 5 cubes tuned to 40 Hz it will. This is my main worry right now and the only thing that can't be explained. I'm hoping wayne can put my mind to ease about this.

Anyway I shall post a picture in about a half hour!!!

Any input from anybody?

Thanks. Hopefully I'll hear from you Wayne.

Adam

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message