Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New to High SPL designs, please advise!!!
New to High SPL designs, please advise!!! [message #34472] Tue, 18 December 2001 21:31 Go to next message
Jerry Parker is currently offline  Jerry Parker
Baron
Hi. A friend of mine wants a pair of extremely high output speakers for his dorm room, and possibly PA use. The budget is a maximum of 200 us dollars for EVERYTHING including cabinets and shipping of parts. Is it possible to build him a high output system for this much money? I was thinking of using a 10" or 12" Eminence PA woofer, and A compression horn tweeter. Any suggestions on what parts to use? He will probably use a cheap consumer grade reciever to power these speakers, so they will probably only get around 30 to 40 watts RMS. The speakers need to be able to handle a little bit of abuse. And high output is more important to him than sound quality. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Re: I live in Tulsa!!! [message #34473 is a reply to message #34472] Tue, 18 December 2001 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
After I posted my message I noticed that you are somewhere in the Tulsa area. I live in Tulsa too!
Jerry needs some good new/used components - Any sellers? [message #34474 is a reply to message #34472] Tue, 18 December 2001 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You've come to the right place - That's what we're doing here. But to tell the truth, you're going to be hard pressed to get the components together for under 200 bucks. It probably won't cost you much more, especially if you get the smaller Eminence drivers. But then again, the lesser expensive woofers really need to be put in monster-sized boxes, so that sort of works against you.

The most common systems built or bought from me - and those most often discussed on this forum - use large format woofer/midrange drivers (12's and 15's) in cabinets with 1" compression midrange/tweeter drivers mounted on horns having approximately 50 sq. inch mouths. We have some basshorns, but those are pretty big and bulky and out of your friend's price range. But the bass reflex speakers sound great and are often about 3 to 6 cubic feet, depending on the woofer. The overall system is usually about 98dB efficient, and the crossover is very good and matches the drivers perfectly with each other.

So pick out some components you can afford and once you've priced some that will work for you, write me back and I'll send you the plans. Don't order any parts yet, so you can get exactly what you need after you see the plans. Just find a woofer and tweeter you can afford, and let us know what you've found.

Guys - What do you think? George - Do you have any woofers and 1" compression drivers in Jerry's price range? Adam - Where did you get your drivers? Were they cheaper than Parts Express? And Jerry - While you're waiting for other replies - Check out www.PartsExpress.com for prices. You'll need an MD2001 or PSD2002 1" compression tweeter (the MD2001's are discontinued and on sale) and a 12" or 15" woofer. You'll also need about thirty bucks worth of crossover components and a thirty dollar horn flare, so while you are considering prices, know that you'll also need these additional components.

Re: I live in Tulsa!!! [message #34475 is a reply to message #34473] Tue, 18 December 2001 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Stop by anytime, I'd be glad to see you.
Re: Jerry needs some good new/used components - Any sellers? [message #34482 is a reply to message #34474] Wed, 19 December 2001 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I actually got my woofers and compression drivers from a local shop, and this local shop uses a company called McBride as a dealer for most of their individiual components. At the time I bought them, they were much less expensive then parts express... The Kappas were $230 dollars each and the compression drivers were 135 each, those are *Canadian* prices. That works out to about 150 and 90 in american dollars. However, PE's new sale on the eminence stuff might be just the ticket. It's still cheaper for me to get from Mcbride because there is no additional shipping cost and rediculous duty at the border (I've been charged as much as 50% of the original cost before). If you're in the states and nearby, you should get a good price on them. I would actually suggest perhaps a Selenium compression driver.... Like 50 dollars at PE. I've head they're quite good and somewhat comparible to the 2002's.

Adam

JBL tent sale recommendation [message #34485 is a reply to message #34472] Wed, 19 December 2001 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Robinson is currently offline  Jeff Robinson
Chancellor
If he'll raise his budget 70 bucks you could blow the whole dorm floor away with 30 watts driving JBL 3677S's from the JBL tent sale. $118.51 each INCLUDING shipping WITH enclosure. However they do not include a crossover, so that is the drawback. He'll need to crossover around 1.2 to 1.6 kHz. I'd recommend a grill for the woofer's protection also. He'd probably be happy with a cheap x-over & l-pad from Parts Express but check out Wayne's crossover document.

These speakers are rated at 99 dB sensitivity and 250 watt power handling, 40 to 20k Hz @ -10dB, 45 to 12k +/- 3dB. 30" x 25.6" x 11.5", 15" 2035H woofer plus 1" 2416-1 titanium driver and 2373 constant directivity horn. The .pdf URL is:
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/3677.pdf

Click on the following link and they are the last items at the bottom of the list. You cannot normally get the 2373 horn for this price, let alone the cabinet and drivers! Only 115 left so hurry!

Jeff Robinson

Re: JBL tent sale recommendation (Wayne?) [message #34496 is a reply to message #34485] Thu, 20 December 2001 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
About those 3677S and 4638's with the 2035's. Are these similar
enough to the 2226's that come in the 4648A-8's that either
work well? Are there any specs for the 2416-1 horn driver that's
in the 3677S's? By the specs, they drop below -3dB at 12KHz, but
supposedly go to 20KHz within -10dB. Is this correctable with
the standard Pi sloping response x-over?
Thx, Chris
Re: JBL tent sale recommendation (Wayne?) [message #34500 is a reply to message #34496] Thu, 20 December 2001 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
The 3677S uses a 2035 woofer and 2416 tweeter, which are lower cost substitutions for the 2226 and 2426. They'll generally work with the same cabinet and crossover but cost less. People that have purchased them are pleased, although the general concensus is the 2226 is a better part, worth the extra money. The 2416 is virtually identical to the 2426 with only minor differences. The 3677S is a budget speaker but, especially at tent sale prices, is well worth the money.
Re: Jerry needs some good new/used components - Any sellers? [message #34510 is a reply to message #34474] Fri, 21 December 2001 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well I looked at component prices on the PartsExpress webpage and the Delta series woofers are 94 and 101 dollars apiece! That combined with the Eminence compression horn makes the price about 400 dollars a pair! And we would still need a crossover.

I think you guys missunderstood me, we have a total budget of 200 dollars for the PAIR of speakers and all the materials. Any suggestions on what to get? I know that a compression horn driver, rather than a piezoelectric driver would be much better sounding and durable. Unfortunatly the cheapest ones I could find cost around 30 dollars and those have phenolic diaphrams and are really only usable above 4 or 5khz. As for the woofers, the Alpha series sem to be the only ones cheap enough for the 200 dollar price point.

What should I do???

Thanks guys!

Re: Jerry needs some good new/used components - Any sellers? [message #34513 is a reply to message #34510] Fri, 21 December 2001 14:35 Go to previous message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Try the SELENIUM compression drivers. They're like 40 each at PE.
That leaves you 120 for eveyrthing else... Not to mention shipping.

What you're proposing is a damn hard sell. Decent P.A. speakers, not using piezo's are nearly impossible... With such a tiny budget, I would suggest something along the lines of an Eminence Alpha 10" or 12", with the top end augmented by a piezo at 6 or 8 kHz. Probably won't get much better then that for 200.

Adam

Previous Topic: Premium Stage Four Pi Plans Please
Next Topic: challenge for wayne (altec style bass horn)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 09:06:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio