Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Fed up with Hammer Dynamics Super 12 - Hit Me WaynE
Fed up with Hammer Dynamics Super 12 - Hit Me WaynE [message #34455] Mon, 17 December 2001 18:43 Go to next message
Super_BQ is currently offline  Super_BQ
Baron
Hello Wayne,

Well, I've finished my Super 12 speaker kit (full range speaker) and quite frankly... I'm not impressed. I question how much break-in time do I need and how much internal damping is required to get rid of that boxy sound from mid-range vocals?

I know i've posted this question here regarding use of fewer drivers and how they can perform better than multi-way loudspeaker systems. Unfortunately my experience with the Hammer 12s isn't what I was expecting and I am now looking to start another speaker project. I do know for at this moment - I can not listen to these Super 12 speakers all day long; it really stresses my ears.

Wayne, if you can assure me that your Theater 4 Pi speakers do not sound like these Hammer 12 speakers here.. please by ALL means e-mail me your plans and steps where I should go. I've found that Eminence Delta 12 speakers are cheaper to buy in NZ than back in Canada.

The sound I'm looking for is more of the solid studio sound. SOLID bass, real extended highs that are loud and clear (not faint and weak). Basically the sound that I get from listening to horn loaded speakers. I've given up on this "SmooTH" sound that tube-heads are looking for....

If you think a different Pi speaker would be more appropriate for me - please e-mail details.

You have mail [message #34457 is a reply to message #34455] Mon, 17 December 2001 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Plans sent.
Re: Fed up with Hammer Dynamics Super 12 - Hit Me WaynE [message #34459 is a reply to message #34455] Tue, 18 December 2001 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
I know what you mean with being tired of the "polite" sound so often encountered in audiophilia. But I do have one disagreement with your assessment of what tube-o philes are looking for, or at least some of them. Tubes to my ear can produce a sort of continuity of sound that I can't get from SS. If the amplification via tubes is too rolled of in the freq. extremes then you get that smooooth sound you were commenting on. True some like that sound, but others find that only with tubes in the system can you get that real holographic sound that seems LIVE! So please don't give up on tubes that easily. BTW, the best system that I have had has a SS amp w/ a tubed preamp. See If you can listen to a Bottlehead system. Good Stuff.

Good luck!

Garland

Re: Fed up with Hammer Dynamics Super 12 - Hit Me WaynE [message #34476 is a reply to message #34459] Wed, 19 December 2001 02:18 Go to previous message
Super_BQ is currently offline  Super_BQ
Baron
I'll agree that tubes produce a sound that sand amps can't do. But to me, I really need something that rocks and sounds dead on accurate no matter what kind of music I play. I find that with some tube amps, playing rock or very complex (wide freq. range) music doesn't sound as good as what SS amps sound like.

Tube pre-amp with SS amp I've heard is a great mix of both worlds. But at the moment I'm just playing around trying to find the sound that I'm looking for.

I recall about a year ago listening to a Wadia cdp running it's digital volume control straight to a pair of VHT tube mono-bloc amps. I must say it was pretty flat sounding for a $20,000 price tag system.

Has anyone been a recording studio that uses those massive Westlake monitor speakers? Maybe that's the sound I'm really after. As Wayne as said before, those TAD drivers used in them costs a much as a decent car.

Previous Topic: Folded horn with multiple woofers
Next Topic: Re:Port Detail for Pro 7 Pi's, Wayne, Mike Bates
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 07 17:45:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout