Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Kilomax vs Kappa Pro 15LF - what's the diff in "sound"?
Kilomax vs Kappa Pro 15LF - what's the diff in "sound"? [message #34418] Sat, 15 December 2001 13:53 Go to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
Hi Pi guys -

The graph of Kilomax 15 implies not much on-axis HF rise - FWIW - Kappa Pro15LF looks smooth - besides handling lotsa power without severe parameter change from heat (plus lookin' way cool) - how does Kilomax 15 differ in sound from the other Eminence 15" when running in Pi reflex? - does it do "something" which makes it worth the extra $?

Freddy

Opinions from Kappa owners requested [message #34422 is a reply to message #34418] Sat, 15 December 2001 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I don't know about a comparison to the Kappa 15, but I can speak to the Omega 15. It may be a better comparison anyway, because they're closer in build and performance levels. The Kilomax doesn't shift as much at moderate power levels, so it sounds the same at 10 watts as it does at a couple hundred watts in the bass and midbass. The Omega gets a little more bloated down low when pushed hard than does the Kilomax. On the other hand, I like the midrange of the Omega better. Voices are warm and natural, just a little more so I think than the Kilomax.
Re: Kilomax vs Kappa Pro 15LF - what's the diff in "sound"? [message #34423 is a reply to message #34418] Sat, 15 December 2001 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
replay is currently offline  replay
Grand Master
hi freddy, i've been listening to my 4 pi's for a couple of months now. bass is tight, dynamic and effortless. even at concert levels there is no excursion at all. i believe they can handle 1000 watts (my windows cannot) and have been pleased with the performance. i only went with them because of the deal i got and as you said they do look cool. i'll post a review once my active x-over is installed.

cheers,

george

Re: Opinions from Kappa owners requested [message #34429 is a reply to message #34422] Sat, 15 December 2001 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently offline  Adam
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Kappas are really wicked woofers for the money... I did an intense lookover of the Eminence line and I found that the Kappa 15LFA's (talking 15" woofers of course) are the best compromise... run well ported in small to medium sized boxes, have the longest xmax of all the Kappa drivers, low cost, high power handling. They really get soooooo damn loud in ported boxes and they have tight, clean bass and pretty good response throughout 40-1,500 Hz. I still think I can detect response peaks in the 2 kHz region with my ears, but this is without a crossover. I think a 12db/octave filter at 1500 that I use is enough to deal with the problem. They also do really well in the lower bass area, and they'll pound out serious SPL without bottoming out.

The Kilomax drivers are I would have to say nearly identical to the Kappa LFA's in most respects except power handling xmax and frequency response. It's important to weigh your priorities here. The Kappa and the Kilomax have nearly *identical* sensitivity ratings, which means there is little point in paying extra for the kilomax woofers if you can only throw 300-400 watts at each speaker, they won't get any louder. I took a long, hard look at both speakers before I made the purchases... If you have money to burn and 1000 watts per channel on tap, get the kilomax's. If you want to be slightly more economical and practical, go with the Kappa's.

Good luck

Adam

Re: Opinions from Kappa owners requested - how 'bout 2-15"/side Pi? [message #34436 is a reply to message #34429] Sun, 16 December 2001 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Adam

thanks for the detailed reply, What are you using on top, a 2370? - I already own 2-cast frame Eminence from MCM a few years ago - just sitting in their boxes - I think they are essentially 2.5" voice-coil Delta Pro - (also Dayton 295-070 - they don't go high - their curvlinear cones are doped and dust cap kinda large...dunno why they were executed that way)

I'll sure have to check into the Kappa 15LFA - one consideration with solid state amps would be to use 2-15LFA/side (or whatever) stacked tight vertically so a horn can be used on top (D'Apollito may be Ok?) - what do you think of 2-15/side with horn on top? - cost wouldn't be much more - should have some serious "punch". Also - pretty much sure woofers with dissimilar fs can work well in one box --tends to flatten the Z curve (ala' VMPS)

btw - what size box and tuning do you suggest for Kappa 15LFA?

Best wishes!
Freddy

Re: Kilomax vs Kappa Pro 15LF - what's the diff in "sound"? [message #34437 is a reply to message #34423] Sun, 16 December 2001 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi George!

you must be getting some good sound - I don't think a graph tells all the sonic story of a woofer's performance - Eminence's graph shows some rolloff but your Kilomax must be doing ok in the xover region or you wouldn't be so darn happy. I wish Eminence would detail conditions and give off axis data.

btw-I have a Behringer xover but had ground loop problems - will have to sort those out.

I need to locate some of the 1" Russian plywood - hope 84 lumber can order - you got it for only $30/sheet!! - I'd be happy @$50-60 for 5x5 - I'd be in 'box heaven' with 4-6 sheets!

Best wishes!
Freddy

Re: Opinions from Kappa owners requested - how 'bout 2-15"/side Pi? [message #34438 is a reply to message #34436] Sun, 16 December 2001 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey,

I think your idea for the dual woofers would be a great one, especially the MTM config. I considered this myself, but I came to the conclusion that four smaller speakers would be better then putting everything into two giant ones. Mine are for medium to large sized dances though, so your situation probably doesn't apply like mine did. The two of them in parallel should net you 3 db more sensitivity, and 6 db more if the amp will double it's power output with the new load. They will be large cabinets, but no larger then a pair of single woofer 10 pi's.

I tuned my Kappas to 40 Hz in a 5 cuft ported box. The result was very flat response down to 40 Hz, with an f3 of 36-37 Hz. Anything lower will get you flat, unresponsive bass and anything higher will start to be boomy and peaky.

Good luck!

Adam

Oh, curious... 2370?? [message #34440 is a reply to message #34436] Sun, 16 December 2001 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wasn't sure what you meant by 2370... I assume it's a model number.

I built these speakers for my high school using the Kappa 15LFA and the PSD 2002 compression driver on an exponential horn... Very loud. The crossover needs tweaking, though. There isn't enough horn attenuation and it's too overbearing. I didn't see it as a problem at first, but after listening to them in use at the actual school in various settings, they need an adjustment. The crossover is virtually identical to Wayne's, except there isn't the HF compensation cap.

Adam

Re: Oh, curious... 2370?? [message #34469 is a reply to message #34440] Tue, 18 December 2001 18:25 Go to previous message
mikebake is currently offline  mikebake
Grand Master
I believe he meant the JBL 2370 horn
Previous Topic: JBL 2235
Next Topic: Folded horn with multiple woofers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 12 17:30:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio