Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Got All My Parts... Premium Stage Four Pi's Almost a Reality
Got All My Parts... Premium Stage Four Pi's Almost a Reality [message #34401] Thu, 13 December 2001 04:48 Go to next message
Colin Fritzke is currently offline  Colin Fritzke
Baron
Hey guys,

I haven't had much to post here lately, but I figured with the arrival of my final box of parts yesterday that I might as well. I'm building Premium Stage Four Pi's much like George's (replay) except I intend to modify the cabinet dimensions a little. Overall outside dimensions using 3/4" MDF and bracing internally will be 35" high x 18" wide and likely 14" deep for an overall internal volume of just under 4 cubic feet. Boxplot graphs don't look extremely impressive as the predicted F3 is just under 50 Hz, but I hope that room gain (relatively small room) and my decision to put the ports on the rear as opposed to the front of the speaker will help reinforce the bass a little bit.

Let me just say that I sure hope my wife will continue to be accepting of this project.... I've given her overall dimensions and tried to show her using approximations just how big these things are going to be. She was a little hesistant at first, but is coming around. She's not terribly good at visualizing things, so I hope that works to my advantage!

One thing I'm still not sure about is how exactly I'm going to finish these things. I still lean most towards veneer, but I haven't done it before and understand it can be a very unforgiving process. I've got beech veneer Ikea bookshelves in the living room so ultimately the stain I choose will likely be that amber colour. I was thinking that Oak might look better than beech, because it has a more pronounced grain but I'm not sure what to go with. What do you guys think? Also, I'm building my crossovers externally. Know where I could get small wooden boxes approximatley cigar-sized for a low price? The plan is to put the crossovers inside and then connect to the actual speakers with Neutrik Speak-on Connectors.

Thanks,
Colin

Re: Got All My Parts... Premium Stage Four Pi's Almost a Reality [message #34402 is a reply to message #34401] Thu, 13 December 2001 05:18 Go to previous message
Garland is currently offline  Garland
Grand Master
Colin, Look forward to hearing your report on the Stages when they're built and making music. I know your anxiety re: the wife as I am going ahead and building Theater 4's and have not really brached the subject of size with my Sig Other. I just hope the sonics blow her away. And anyway they are intended to replace two pairs of speakers that are currently dominating one whole wall of our family room so the total floor area is actually less with the Pi's. At least that is going to be my rationalization.

As far as veneering goes it really is not too hard. Just have enough to do the job and then some .Trim each piece an inch or so over size in all directions. When applying the contact cement try to get it evenly spread and you may need to put two coats on the cabinets if you find one coat soaks in too much. Also, be sure you get adequate cement on the very edges of the cabinet. That is where the veneer is most apt to de-laminate with time and it is easiest to spread the cement too thin. Use the solvent based contact cement as opposed to the latex/water based cement. It is MUCH better though you'll have to have ventilation- it's pretty stinky. Wayne I think recommended Bostick Sray contact adhesive but I've never used it. Try an experimental piece on scrap wood to get a feel for how much cement and what the drying times are like. and be really careful in positioning the veneer after the cement is applied because once the smallest section of cement touches the other surface it is virtually impossible to remove without damaging the veneer.

Good luck!

Garland

Previous Topic: 7 Pi Boxplot
Next Topic: Modification to cabinet proportions OK, Wayne?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 16 03:31:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio