Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Dumb Question #1
Dumb Question #1 [message #34328] Wed, 05 December 2001 14:45 Go to next message
LuxmanLover is currently offline  LuxmanLover
Master
The more I read and think about speaker design and building the more confused I get, I tried not reading or thinking for a while but found that I was still confused!!!!!! Go figure, so I started thinking and reading some more and found that was more interesting than watching tv so I decided to continue reading thinking and live with being confused. Now on with the quest for knowledge, I've been perusing the Eminence site (not the JBL site 'cause their e-tent sale blows and I don't got that kind of green but I would if they hadn't sold ALL THE STINKING 2245'S FOR DIRT!!!!!!!!!! but thats another story) (thought I was gonna lose it there again for a second), anyway I was looking at the Eminence FR graphs and was wondering about how some of the drivers had claimed FR from 25-2000 or so but their respective graphs showed really droopy response from 25-45Hz like 10-20 Db droop. So getting to the question part.....is it possible to boost up or should I say "flatten" out the FR using the appropriatedly sizes box, or put another way how much can a box smooth out an otherwise "wavy" FR?
And to answer all of your questions ,Yes, I believe this will be the first in a long line of stupid questions (but they do say there are no stupid questions....we'll see ...first time for everything)
kell
Eminence measurements below 100Hz [message #34330 is a reply to message #34328] Wed, 05 December 2001 17:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Eminence measures their speakers indoors on a 4' x 4' baffle mounted to a wall. This works fine at midrange frequencies up, but does not work at bass frequencies. Their measurement chamber has absorbent materials on the walls, making it anechoic from midrange frequencies up, but the chamber still suffers resonant bass modes. Below 100Hz, you'll get more accurate information from models than you will from measurements made like this. Bass measurements must be made outdoors because indoor measurements show the room, not the speaker.
Previous Topic: thoughts on going active
Next Topic: Compression diver magnet shileding
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 20 06:31:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout